Simplicity Sunstar

/ Simplicity Sunstar #21  
From the looks of it, I would assume that the owner has babied it. It looks like it was almost new. That in itself makes me a little nervous. But I guess there are some guys that would try to keep it in this condition. The price puts it out of contention of course. It actually is only about an hour drive from me. I will keep an eye on it if I can.

I wonder what year the picture was taken? Old picture???

/ Simplicity Sunstar #22  
I got a response from the guy selling the Sunstar near here. He sent me some pictures and a little bit of info:

"I bought the unit new in 1997.
897 hours on the tractor as of today.
Serviced by myself. Regular maintence, change oil, grease, wash and stored inside all the time.
It was used on our acreage only, not for commercial work."

I will attach a couple of the pictures.

Even considering the price I think I am going to go and see it in a couple of days. I want to see if it really does look good. The mower and the tiller look as if they have been worked a bit. Peeling paint on the mower is fine as long as the structure and sheet metal is good. The engine looks good in the picture, but what should I be looking for in an engine of this age and hours. Are there any issues that the Kohler Command has had?

I'm going to be looking at the frame very closely for strength and rust. I'm interested in seeing what the PTO's look like, wear and tear.

Am I missing anything? Price is still going to be an issue. I am getting the impresson that prices are fairly high around these parts.

Attachments

• DSC03452.JPG
    DSC03452.JPG
    974 KB · Views: 2,527
  • DSC03447.JPG
    DSC03447.JPG
    888.3 KB · Views: 2,420
  • DSC03454.JPG
    DSC03454.JPG
    553.5 KB · Views: 4,458
  • DSC03456-1.JPG
    DSC03456-1.JPG
    649.2 KB · Views: 5,308
   / Simplicity Sunstar #23  
Hey Klorinth, from the pictures it looks in pretty good shape. The Kohler Commands had a issue with the valve covers leaking in the eailer years, but I think thats about it. If that motor was taken care of, it has several hundered or thousand hours left in it. The battery may need to be changed soon, looks like a org. battery, or he just went to Simplicity dealer for a new one. I have never had a deck peel paint like that. May want to repaint the deck sometime. Also i see he backed into something, sheetmetal is bent up on the left side (sitting on the seat). The PTO and rear of the tractor look very clean. Need to get a picture of the tiller and snowblower.

If I am not mistakin, the PTO and 3pt were around $500-$600 option new I think. The tillers were around $1500-$2000. Used on E-bay, a tiller will run around $400-$600 if you can find one, like I said they are very rare. I still think $5800 is high. Around here in Illinois, I would say that setup would be around $4000-$4500. It all depends if you find someone who wants a Sunstar with a tiller, they may pay more.

Dennis

/ Simplicity Sunstar #24  
Dennis,

My assessment of the pictures was about the same as yours.

He did send a picture of the tiller, seems to be in the same shape as the rest. No picture of the snowblower though. That of course is one of the main reasons for my interest, but I'm willing to assume a similar condition. Actually in the picture of the tiller you can see the underside of the mower in the background as well. No obvious problems from that angle, although it is a little blurry. I think he used a pressure washer on everything. Makes me wonder if that is the cause of the paint. New paint job is the least of my concerns though.

Price might be my problem. Not just with this one but with all the machines I would be interested. Everything that I have looked at in the garden and utility tractor range has been more expensive than most other areas. That includes some things in other provinces not just the states. John Deere in particular is popular here in Manitoba.

I'll see how things go when I am able to see it.

/ Simplicity Sunstar #25  
I have around 460 hours on my Kolher Command 20hp. I had to replace the fuel pump last year (manufacturing defect) but have had no other issues with the engine. The engine in the pictures has a different fuel pump than I have. I have a Legacy which is similar, and would suggest that you check the full length rollers on the back of the mower deck, they are likely pretty worn, and that could be used as a point of negotiation. I would drive it, and watch the front steering linkage too, since on rough ground that can take a beating. I put 1500 hours on a smaller Landlord, and did have to replace a couple of steering linkage components. The Sunstar is a much heavier machine though, and will likely be fine.

/ Simplicity Sunstar #26  
Good suggestions... Steering linkage is exactly the kind of thing I was wondering about.I can actually see some of the rollers in one of the pictures but hard to tell condition for sure. I will check. How hard is it going to be to find parts like these? There is a Simplicity dealer near hear. I don't know anything about him though. Ebay the way to go? Or are there any online dealers in parts?

I don't know yet what his property looks like so am not sure what kind of work he would have put it through. I do know that it is outside of the city and may be a semi functioning farm. He is selling it because he is looking at bigger machines. The dealer he is working with has offered to take it on trade, but he is holding off at present. I think he wants to get a better price than what the dealer has offered.

/ Simplicity Sunstar #27  
You will probably find that the rollers have a lot of slop on the shaft they ride on. I serviced mine yesterday, and noticed that I could replace them now. They still will work fine, but may result in an uneven cut. Parts have always seemed to be readily available, and wear items like the rollers certainly are. The only parts issue I have ever run into is variation in engine designs, making it important to know which particular engine you have in your tractor, some of the Kohler Command engines used a mechanical fuel pump.... mine, and some used a vacuum pump, some use one oil filter, some another so you have to write down the serial number of your engine before you head out parts shopping. I do think that is pretty true of all garden tractor engines though.

/ Simplicity Sunstar #28  
Most all parts can still be ordered for the Sunstars. Its just the kits like the PTO, 3pt, etc that cant be found anymore. The rollers are not that hard to replace. The rollers on the 48" decks were hollow inside, where as the rollers for the 60" decks were solid, also the 60" rollers were taller and just a bit wider also. Both ride on the same size shaft, so one could get by using I think 5 or 6 60" rollers on the 48" deck. I would have to check on that one. The reason to use these is they will last longer. I went this route once and so did a friend of mine.

/ Simplicity Sunstar #29  
Hey all. Thanks for the help, it has been very useful.

Just got back from looking at the Sunstar. It basically looks as you saw in the photos. Clean and well cared for. Son did back it into the fence(minor). Right side ball joint is being replaced. And he said that he is taking it in to be seviced before selling it. He says that there is a pin in the rear PTO that needs to be replaced. According to the repair guy it is what holds the PTO together, and they eventually wear out. Does this make sense to you guys? He wasn't positive about either. He is taking the other guys word for it. He had noticed extra noise coming from the PTO last summer when using the tiller and had asked the repair guy to look at it.

Anyway... he will be having all this service done before selling it. Ball joint has already been ordered.

Implements look good. Tiller has minor dents and scrapes. Paint is peeling off the mower, both top and underside. minor rust spots, and a repair to a side wheel. Rollers are wearing, but still usable. Hollow.

He is firm at $5500. Simplicity does not last long around here. States he has others looking at it as well. He admits to being a salesman of course. Doesn't want to just trade it in because he will get less for it, and it will then be sold for more than he is asking. Example being that other picture I posted at $7800. He is giving me a couple of days to think about it before he goes back to the dealer about his upgrade.

Any further wisdom? Or thoughts about the PTO?

Thanks again everyone.
Rayan

/ Simplicity Sunstar #30  
1. Does anyone know how much the Sunstar weights?
(with just the lawnmower deck as an implement)?

I need to trailer it to a shop.

2. How much would an new engine cost for a Sunstar?

3. Is there a market for a Sunstar without an engine? If so, what is a fair price?

Background
I have been reading these posts, and thanks a lot for all the info!!
I am not a mechanic. Just a guy with 22 acres and a need to mow my grass.

In March 2009 I bought a Simplicity Sunstar, for $1,000

Looks like a 1986-1991 (thanks to your posts!)
Number of hours 820.6 as of 9-5-2009
50 Lawn mower deck
Onan Engine Model
Hydrostatic drive, High/Low ranges

It is Sept 2009 and my Onan engine is gushing oil from the right side of the engine (as I sit in the drivers seat). I am towing it into a shop to get an assessment. Darn. Darn.