Simplicity Sunstar

/ Simplicity Sunstar #31  
Sounds like she has thrown a rod, typical for older Onans, time to chuck it and drop a new Vtwin in it. Look at both Kohler Command and Briggs Vanguard Vtwin engines. Small Engine Warehouse and Jim's Small Engines offer repower kits to re engine the Sunstar. It would be cheaper than trying to replace this machine with one equil to it that is new. A new equil to this machine will push close to 10K for either a JD or Cub Cadet SC2400. Even the top regular Cub Cadet GT is weak compared to a SunStar. You basicly need a new sub compact to equil what the sunstar can do. I know a new Vanguard is around 1400-1700 depending on what HP you want to go with, its not a hard job to swap out the engine either. Cheers Mike

/ Simplicity Sunstar #32  
This is a 1989 deutz-allis ultima. Dale

Attachments

• 100_0223.jpg
    100_0223.jpg
    901.4 KB · Views: 2,397
   / Simplicity Sunstar #33  
is the thrown rod bad enough that you need to replace the motor? can that block be rebuilt?

/ Simplicity Sunstar #34  
is the thrown rod bad enough that you need to replace the motor? can that block be rebuilt?
Onan parts are so danged expensive that in that scenario, most people will just replace them with a Kohler Command, Honda V-twin, or less-commonly a Briggs Vanguard -- which are all good, newer style V-twin engines.

/ Simplicity Sunstar #35  
20 hp Sunstars never had Onan engines from the factory, only Kohlers. If its 1992 or older, its a Kohler Magnum. 1993-1997 were Kohler Commands.

/ Simplicity Sunstar #36  
20 hp Sunstars never had Onan engines from the factory, only Kohlers. If its 1992 or older, its a Kohler Magnum. 1993-1997 were Kohler Commands.

You're correct. I was reading much earlier replies specifically talking about Onans, and thought that was what the current subject was. The PowrMax had Onan engines, the Sunstars had Kohlers...

Looks like a 1986-1991 (thanks to your posts!)
Number of hours 820.6 as of 9-5-2009
50 Lawn mower deck
Onan Engine Model
Hydrostatic drive, High/Low ranges

It is Sept 2009 and my Onan engine is gushing oil from the right side of the engine (as I sit in the drivers seat). I am towing it into a shop to get an assessment. Darn. Darn.

/ Simplicity Sunstar #37  
A good way to find the year of anything with a kohler engine in it
is to check s.n.# on motor the first 2 digits 15 being 1985 16, 1986 ect.. ect.. my first 2 digits on my sunstar is 21 making the engine 1991
thinking thats the year of machine i no its the year of motor anyway

/ Simplicity Sunstar #38  
Can anyone help me here? I also have a Sunstar GTH 20 but, its been repainted and I can't find the model number to order parts if needed, also been looking for owners manual for it. I would upload pic but, I am new to this fourm and haven't figured it out yet :)

Thanks!
William

/ Simplicity Sunstar #39  
Has anyone put a FEL on their Sunstar? I've been wanting to but, have no idea where to start. cylinders, pump, bore stroke everything can anyone help? It has the f&b pto's

Thanks!
William

/ Simplicity Sunstar #40  
wow most of the sun stars I have seen have been around $1700.00 to $4grand for tractor and attachments.