Simplicity Sunstar

/ Simplicity Sunstar #1  

KB9UDE

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320 John Deere x758
Good Morning
I am looking at a used simplicity sunstar with 450hrs. The dealer (not simplicity) is listing it as a 1999 model. According to a web site I found it says that the sunstar was replaced by the legacy model in late 1997. Does anyone know if this is correct?? Is it possible the previous owner bought it new in 1999 and told this dealer that is when he bought it, and they used that date as the mfg date?? How can I check the serial # for date??
Any major problems with this line of tractor??
Please post any vital info as I am looking to purchase soon if this mower looks good. What is a fair price with front hyd. blade and 48" deck??

John

/ Simplicity Sunstar #2  
This may help.

History

BTW, I've had my Simplicity Legacy since '99, and have been very pleased with it, and I have not been easy on it.

/ Simplicity Sunstar #3  
Thanks for the link to Simplicity's history! I learned a lot of stuff from that.

/ Simplicity Sunstar
I brought the Sunstar home and mowed for a few hours. I think I will be making a purchase. Going to the dealer tommorow to talk with him about final price.

I will post pics asap.

John

/ Simplicity Sunstar
I have purchased the Simplicity. Pics to come in the near future.

John

/ Simplicity Sunstar #6  
What kind of deal did you get?

I can get a 2000 model Sunstar with 222 hours, 54" (?) mower, 48" (?) snow blower, leaf pickup system with trailer, snow chains and wheel weights for around $5,000.

It was owned by a 80 year old man who is now in a nursing home.

Is this a good deal?

Thanks

Yooper Dave

/ Simplicity Sunstar #7  
Simplicity stopped making the Sunstar in 1997, so the one you are looking at is older than you think. However with those low hours (if accurate) and the attachments you listed it sounds like a pretty decent deal to me.

/ Simplicity Sunstar
I bought my 1997 Sunstar with 48" deck and hyd front blade, 450hrs for $1750 from a John Deere dealer;) I think he just wanted it off the lot. Their original asking price was $2750.

John

/ Simplicity Sunstar #9  
"I can get a 2000 model Sunstar with 222 hours, 54" (?) mower, 48" (?) snow blower, leaf pickup system with trailer, snow chains and wheel weights for around $5,000.

It was owned by a 80 year old man who is now in a nursing home.

Is this a good deal?

Thanks

Yooper Dave"

Just looking at what similar Simplicity Sunstar's and accessories go for used, I would break it down to this:

222 Hour Sunstar tractor, if exceptional condition: $2100.00
Mower: Nothing additional
Snow Blower (if in good condition) $400.00
Leaf pickup with trailer: $450
Weights and Chains: $75.00
Total: $3025.00

Consider many (if not all) Sunstar's used a Kohler Magnum engine that is no longer produced. Although the with the low hours that might not be a problem for a while, it can be a costly issue if you are looking to keep the machine for 10-15 years putting moderate use on it. Just wanted to bring the obsolescense factor to note. -Fordlords-

/ Simplicity Sunstar #10  
The person selling the tractor is convinced he is sitting on a pot of gold.

He would not negotiate on his price, so I wished him a good day.

Yooper Dave