Snapper LT16(002) - parts? opinions? info?

/ Snapper LT16(002) - parts? opinions? info? #1  

Jay4200

Veteran Member
Tractor
L4200GST w/ LA680 & BX2200D w/ LA211
I recently aquired a camp that has a 750' gravel/dirt driveway. The drive is relatively flat and skinny, but LONG - I plan to use the camp during skiing season, so I needed a piece of snow-removal equipment to clear the drive. A 6' PTO drive snowblower hooked to my 45HP Kubota would be the right tool, but logistics (and $$) have steered me in another direction - I've been scouring the used listings for a lawn/garden tractor with snowblower to do the job.

I just scored a Snapper LT16002 tractor (mid-80's vintage, I think) w/ 41" mower deck and 2-stage snowblower attachments, all for $400. Everything is there and works, starts and runs perfect, and is in overall excellent condition (excellent condition for 25 y/o, anyway) - I think I found a bargain and a half! I hear that parts are still available, but don't have a clue of where to look - haven't found anything on the 'net. Also, any relavant information/opinions about these lil' tractors that anyone would like to pass along would be appreciated.

Thanks - JayC

/ Snapper LT16(002) - parts? opinions? info? #2  
Just how much snow do you get at your camp?

A garden tractor with a snow blower clearing a 750' driveway in ski country? You leave Hudson to arrive in camp on Friday night to attack a week's worth of snow in January and February and it will kill the evening. March will be even better when the snow is heavier. First off, the snowbank where your driveway starts might be 4' high, thick as cement, and half-frozen, and it only gets worse from there. Two-wheel drive garden tractors are fairly useless in deep snow, and even larger tractors will struggle without chains.
Real snow demands real snow equipment.

/ Snapper LT16(002) - parts? opinions? info?
Just how much snow do you get at your camp?

A garden tractor with a snow blower clearing a 750' driveway in ski country? You leave Hudson to arrive in camp on Friday night to attack a week's worth of snow in January and February and it will kill the evening. March will be even better when the snow is heavier. First off, the snowbank where your driveway starts might be 4' high, thick as cement, and half-frozen, and it only gets worse from there. Two-wheel drive garden tractors are fairly useless in deep snow, and even larger tractors will struggle without chains.
Real snow demands real snow equipment.

Your points are valid, but let me worry about the details. I rarely even bother to pull out my walk-behind snowblower in Hudson, and it'll chew through just about anything. I've only needed it twice in about 5 years (I use an ATV plow). I'm sure I'll be just fine with a tractor-driven machine at the new place. I'm not expecting to get buried anyway - I'm south/west of Concord. However, if we get pounded some weekend and have to spend an hour or two running the machine, so be it. Ultimately, I want to get a '6 PTO blower for my L4200GST, but that'll have to wait.

So, anyone have answers to my questions regarding the tractor?

JayC