John Deere or Snapper

/ John Deere or Snapper #1  

passgas55

Bronze Member
I am thinking about buying a new riding mower for my new house in the country. I have close to 3 acres to mow. I have a 27 hp diesel tractor that I cut with a 5 foot finishing mower. I need riding mower to cut around the house and to trim around the trees. I want this mower to be a backup to the tractor in case the tractor is brorken and i need the grass cut. I either want to go with the John Deere LA 165, John Deere products for homeowners: Features for LA165 Lawn Tractor or a Snapper LT 2044, LT200 Series Lawn & Garden Tractors by Snapper

I did not go see these in person yet but thought maybe I can get a few pointers on each mower. They are close to price to each other. What one would you get and why?

/ John Deere or Snapper #2  
I have a Snapper LT200 with a 44in deck and mulching kit. It's the same tractor as Simplicity Regent but has a suspended deck. I'm very impressed with the mowing quality and the short turning is a real plus. You need to look at both machines and also consider the Simplicity Regent for it's best in class mower deck. I think the Snapper/Simpicity are a quality level above the L series Deere IMO.

/ John Deere or Snapper #3  
I'd go for the Snapper LT200 series. As the other poster mentioned, it's the same mower as a Simplicity Regent, which is a quality level above the JD L series. The LT100 series Snapper is comparable to the JD L series. The LT300 Snapper/Simplicity Broadmoor is comparable to the JD X300 series, so the quality of the Snapper LT200 should lie somewhere between the L series and X300. You're only looking at ~ $200 difference for a higher quality mower in the LT2044.

The 2 mowers have the same engine series with plenty of hp for the deck size, virtually the same speeds f/r, & 22" rear tires. The Snapper has a slightly (1.1") longer wheelbase, and smaller overall dimensions. Also, the Snapper LT2044 has a 4" smaller turning radius than the LA165 JD. Also, don't forget about the Snapper's full width roller for nice striping (if you're into that) and their infinite height-of-cut adjustment via crank attached to the rear roller.

I understand that this would be a backup to your larger tractor and either the LA165 or LT2044 would fill that role fine, but for only $200 more (and maybe less if your Snapper dealer is like my MF dealer) I'd take the higher quality & prestige of the dealer-only LT200 series Snapper vs. any box store mower like the LT100 series or JD LA100 series.

/ John Deere or Snapper #4  
My take on the differences between the LT2044 and JD LA 165 is that the JD is a superior machine for less money. I also believe that I should not give this opinion without specific details of comparison, so here are some specifics:

1. JD has a 12 gage deck. The Snapper site states that the mower frame is 12 gage, but fails to mention what gage the mower deck is.

2. The JD has a 24 hp engine where the Snapper has only a 20 hp engine.

3. The JD has a 16 amp alternator where the Snapper has a 9 amp.

4. The JD has 13 cutting heights where the Snapper has 7.

5. The JD's blade spindles are greasable with zerks on top of the deck so the deck does not have to be removed to grease the spindles. The Snapper's grease zerks on the bottom of the deck and require removal for lube service.

6. The JD is about $200 less than the Snapper and can be purchased at the JD dealer where warranty registration is automatic or at a box store where you will have to fill out the warranty. After purchase, you may buy maintenance supplies at any convenient box store that carries JD supplies. You do not have to go back to the JD dealer for anything except warranty service if that is your choice; however, you can order parts online and have them delivered to your JD dealer's parts counter. You may be able to do all this with a Snapper, but I don't know that for a fact.

That's about 6 issues that may be major or minor, but they are differences to consider and not some generalization that arbitrarily compares mowers to other products without any specifics. There is too much speculation about what mowers compare to what without details. I believe that's not the best approach no matter what color machine you are in favor of. The best method to compare is to read and become familiar with all details of all mowers and then make your best deal for yourself. There are many quality mowers and lawn tractors out there. You just have to know the facts and make your own decisions. Good luck.:)

/ John Deere or Snapper #5  
I would go with the JD tractors. 1st off, the john deere tractors are built better, and are a more popular brand, so you will know that they work great. 2nd, Ive had a snapper before, bought it from sears. The mower deck doesnt mower that great. The transmission is not to great either. It has no back-up power for backing up hills. I would go with a john deere.

/ John Deere or Snapper #6  
I would go with the JD tractors. 1st off, the john deere tractors are built better, and are a more popular brand, so you will know that they work great. 2nd, Ive had a snapper before, bought it from sears. The mower deck doesnt mower that great. The transmission is not to great either. It has no back-up power for backing up hills. I would go with a john deere.

I don't know what vintage Snapper you had, but the current models are essentially Simplicity tractors with a different deck. Not knowing what you had, I'm guessing that if you looked at the current LT200 line, you would be surprised at the quality for the money.

To the original poster, either machine you asked about would be a pretty good choice, which one has a dealership near you for parts and service that you would like doing business with?

/ John Deere or Snapper #7  
Not to mention the fact that in 5 years, you can still buy John Deere parts.

/ John Deere or Snapper #8  
I just delivery of my new JD X540 today. Wonder which side I come down on?

/ John Deere or Snapper #9  
Not to mention the fact that in 5 years, you can still buy John Deere parts.

I still buy parts for my 1969 Simplicity-built machines -- not sure what you're trying to imply here..

Parts availability is not a concern. That's about as reasonable as me trying to imply parts availability is an issue for JDs...

If you'd like, I can quickly link at least three online dealer parts warehouses with their parts lookups and prices, and you can see for yourself.

Jacks Small Engines is a very common and well-known one... and his parts ordering has been online for over 10 years now.

/ John Deere or Snapper #10  
IMO, parts support for LTs/GTs is not nearly the issue that it is for tractors. All mowers are made from major components sourced from other mfgs. The only major components made by the mower mfg are the frame and the front axle. I'd be more concerned about parts availability from the engine and transaxle manufacturer down the road much more than I would be from whoever built the frame. For example, hunt for internals for the Onan that came on JD 318s...they're getting difficult to find, and it's not JDs fault.