Snapper Rear Engine Cutting Problem

/ Snapper Rear Engine Cutting Problem #1  

robert0720

Hi All,

I've got an 80's era 8hp 29" Hi-Vac Snapper rider that's giving me a little grief. It seems that whenever I try to cut any moderately thick grass the thing bogs down terribly. I was just wondering if there is any type of adjustment I needed to make or any parts I could replace that would help this problem. This mower belonged to my mother and used to cut just fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

/ Snapper Rear Engine Cutting Problem #2  
With only what you mentioned, it's going to be hard to give you a fix. Could be;
1. air filter
2. carburetor adjustment
3. governor adjustment
4. spark plug
5. or just worn out
Might try to check what you can or find someone to go over it. Could be simple or not simple.
good luck; rob

/ Snapper Rear Engine Cutting Problem
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I may just try a quick tune-up to see if it helps. Then I might just take it in to a pro!

/ Snapper Rear Engine Cutting Problem #4  
I suggest carefully checking the side-to-side and front to back blade alignment according to your Owners Manual.

/ Snapper Rear Engine Cutting Problem #5  
i have one that is the same way: i retired it a couple years ago: tried everything except checking the compression on the engine: if it wasn't so old i would have gone ahead an checked that or thought about replacing the motor: but the best price i could come up with for a new 12hp or larger was just to much to put into a really old mower.
be interested in what you find.
heehaw

/ Snapper Rear Engine Cutting Problem #6  
Does it bog down even in 1st gear position? 8hp was the smallest I believe they sold. Is the grass getting out from underneath the deck? Deep grass and Hivac isn't the best combination but it would usually power thru it.

/ Snapper Rear Engine Cutting Problem #7  
Is the engine slowing with the speed of the mower? Some times the clutches wear out and they won't pull in heavy conditions and it just gets slower and slower.

I have had several of these things get weak from worn out engines. A ring set can freshen it up and isn't very expensive or hard to do, but a lot of " chinese" clone hondas are on the market cheap, now even vertical shafts. I might replace the motor for about $200.00 with one of those motors and keep cutting. Those things are hard to beat.