Tractor
    Snapper RER

Default Strange Snapper non starting problem

Please ignore this question. Clearly, I am an idiot and that's all I have to say about that.

I have an older model Snapper RER (2810?) with a 10HP engine. Ran fine last week. Today it didn't want to start and when it eventually did it died almost immediately and smoked pretty bad after it did start. I pulled the plug wire to see if it was getting a spark. To my surprise it started right up and ran fine. When I pushed the plug wire back on the plug it dies right away. Put in a new plug with the same results. Cleaned inside the plug wire rubber boot with no change. Retrying with the wire removed always results in a good running engine but dies when pushed back on. Another weird thing that was happening with the plug on was that during the very short while it was running, the engine was making a screeching sound Suggestions appreciated
    Last edited by mike72903; 11-18-2011 at 03:13 PM.

Tractor
    B7100HST-E

Default Re: Strange Snapper non starting problem

Maybe its just me, but I was and am still confused on this one, I wished he would have came back and explained it. LOL zman

Tractor
    Snapper RER

Default Re: Strange Snapper non starting problem

Quote Originally Posted by zman007007 View Post
    Maybe its just me, but I was and am still confused on this one, I wished he would have came back and explained it. LOL zman
    No one replied so I assumed no interest. As it turns out the only problem was with me When I went to get the new plug I put the original in my coat pocket so I would be sure to get the correct one at the store. Walked down to the hardware store, found the correct plug, paid on my way out and stuck the new plug in my coat pocket. After installing it and experiencing the same problem as before, I started to remove covers and components off the engine to try and found something else wrong. After about an hour of looking in vain I stepped away to give it a little more thinking. Put my hand in my coat pocket and pulled out the newly purchased plug. I had reinstalled the original plug instead of the new one Reassembled the parts, put in the new plug and it started immediately So lets just call it human error. The screeching sound was possibly the belt slipping. Still happens from time to time on first starting but goes away as soon a gear is engaged.