How reliable and durable are Snapper Lawn Tractors?

/ How reliable and durable are Snapper Lawn Tractors? #1  

canlis

Tractor
Snapper 8hp RER
I will be buying a new lawn tractor to replace my 8hp Snapper RER which is 28 years old and just went bad on me. I guess I should not complain:). My price range is $1500-$2000. My lawn is 3/4 acre and basically flat. I have been looking at the LT 2342, LT2446,SPX2042, SPX2246 and RER12.5/28 models. I had heard that since Snapper is now manufactured by Briggs and Stratton , their quality/reliability has suffered.What suggestions can anyone give me on this matter? Has anyone experienced any reliability/durability problems with either of these models? How has anyone found Snapper manufacturer/retail support in the event of a problem?Thanks for your help!

/ How reliable and durable are Snapper Lawn Tractors? #2  
I considered a new snapper rear engine ride on / troybuilt neighbourhood rider (smaller / narrower ride on - great for tight spaces), but decided to keep / refurbish my old John Deere 160 lawn tractor. My research here in BC, Canada is that many of the tried and true (including major name brands), are now manufactured in China to keep the price comparable. For the $$$ you are considering, I think that you could find a suitable Snapper, or even look for / find a John Deere or Kubota lawn tractor. Dealers might have a few used ones also that might be worth considering, or may have been manufactured closer to home. For a lawn tractor, my preference is a Kohler engine over a B & S. This forum is great for doing the research. If the dealership is reliable, and knowledgable you should be fine. I have learned that there is value in the local expertise, and the relationship you have with the dealership is essential. I know nothing about Snapper retail support as they (Snapper) are not found in my immediate community -sorry.
I checked the reviews and found only one review (on this TBN site) for the items you were considering - the RER12.5/28 was given a 5* rating (very good). It looks just like the ones I had considered. When I just googled that unit, it was on sale at $1600 in Toronto Canada - I think you are pretty close on the cost estimate. When I looked at them a month ago, I considered a Sears Craftsman version, the Home Depot brand, or the Troybuilt. I thought that the troybuilt had equally good features ... including telescopic steering column, and swivelling seat (for ease of on/ off)... the hp for everything that I saw was about 9.5. The standard retail out here was $1000 (actually between $899 sale, and $999 retail.) All of these were manufactured in China, not sure if that is a factor, but all had B & S engines. If you need a Rear Engine Rider then the options are a bit more limited I found. I hope this helps - All the best in your purchase.

/ How reliable and durable are Snapper Lawn Tractors? #3  
I do not believe Snapper is part of Briggs but I could be wrong. Snapper does not seem to have gone as cheap as some of the other companies. Just purchased one of their self propelled walk behinds this spring and seems to be well built Vs the box store specials. There Rear engine model (the Forrest Gump Special) is one of the best for vacuum for leaves etc.. Only problem in the front gets light when using the bagger.

/ How reliable and durable are Snapper Lawn Tractors?
I do not believe Snapper is part of Briggs but I could be wrong. Snapper does not seem to have gone as cheap as some of the other companies. Just purchased one of their self propelled walk behinds this spring and seems to be well built Vs the box store specials. There Rear engine model (the Forrest Gump Special) is one of the best for vacuum for leaves etc.. Only problem in the front gets light when using the bagger.
Briggs & Stratton bought Snapper and Simplicity. I've decided to buy from either of these brands. Do you know which one of these brands is the most reliable/durable? Thanks!

/ How reliable and durable are Snapper Lawn Tractors? #5  
Its Simple, Its Simplicity!

/ How reliable and durable are Snapper Lawn Tractors? #7  
I have never seen a Snapper sell for 5 k. Is ford and Lincoln the same? Caddy and Chevy?

/ How reliable and durable are Snapper Lawn Tractors? #8  
I had a rear engine snapper and it was great,but the new ones are not very dependable . I have replaced more belts ,blades ,pullies in 4 year on this one than the old one in 20 years.I would by a John Deere .From A JD dealer not a home and garden center.

/ How reliable and durable are Snapper Lawn Tractors?
I had a rear engine snapper and it was great,but the new ones are not very dependable . I have replaced more belts ,blades ,pullies in 4 year on this one than the old one in 20 years.I would by a John Deere .From A JD dealer not a home and garden center.

what do you think about simplicity lawn tractors?

/ How reliable and durable are Snapper Lawn Tractors? #10  
I guess anything new to me is more than 10-20 years old. My Snapper is actually a Power King. It has held up very well. I've owned one simplicity and worked on a few others. Like the name says "Simplicity".
Just as was said above, stay away from the lawn and garden centers, find a good AG dealer who knows compact tractors.