Snapper says no to Walmart....then yes

/ Snapper says no to Walmart....then yes #2  
It was the riding mowers in question I though that Snapper did not want to take to China to get produced. There is a good chance these push mowers are outsourced products but if not there is only the stamped deck and wheels.

/ Snapper says no to Walmart....then yes #3  
From my discussion with my Briggs territory rep a few months ago, they are being made by MTD.

/ Snapper says no to Walmart....then yes #5  
I've owned two Snapper push mowers. One I got from my father in law that I re-motored and sold for real money before I moved to Japan. I bought the second new and ran it for 9 years before I gave it to my broke sister-in-law. Both had the variable speed drive that I didn't see on any of the WalMart models. The deck isn't correct either. They're as disposable as an MTD. You're quite right PsR, it's a shame.

/ Snapper says no to Walmart....then yes #6  
Snapper was successfully integrated into Simplicity, which in 2004 was itself bought by Briggs & Stratton, the company that makes many of the engines in Snapper and Simplicity mowers. Simplicity and Snapper operate as independent divisions, and Wier remained CEO of both until last summer, when he resigned to join the private equity firm Kohlberg & Co. In McDonough, business is strong. Shane Sumners plans to add a second assembly line for both walk-behind and riding mowers.

This article was written in '06, and it says he left last summer ('05). I don't think it was him that had a change of heart. I don't know, but I would guess this is just another "good" manufacturer that has either become crappy or will become. Another craftsman?

It's ironic that this came up because I was in walmart yesterday and saw snapper push mowers, and I specifically remember noticing them and thinking it was weird.

/ Snapper says no to Walmart....then yes #7  
WM is only going to carry items the masses are going to purchase. I see push mowers as throw away items anymore. For riders a step above MTD is nice for sure but for good $$$ sense the math works out for buying MTD riders too. I think they are a main user of B&S engines. MTD may build the Lowes line of JD riders as far as I know.