Used price on 1996 Snapper Series 15???

/ Used price on 1996 Snapper Series 15??? #1  

IslandTractor

Super Star Member
Tractor
2007 Kioti DK40se HST, Woods BH
My mother in law (in Alabama) has a 1996 Snapper mower she would like to sell. Any idea what a reasonable asking price would be? It is a series 15 rear engine rider she paid $1700 for 20 years ago. She hasn't used it in at least ten years so it probably has ten years of use in it mowing a two acre plot. Undoubtedly needs new belts etc which she will not take care of.

/ Used price on 1996 Snapper Series 15???
My mother in law (in Alabama) has a 1996 Snapper mower she would like to sell. Any idea what a reasonable asking price would be? It is a series 15 rear engine rider she paid $1700 for 20 years ago. She hasn't used it in at least ten years so it probably has ten years of use in it mowing a two acre plot. Undoubtedly needs new belts etc which she will not take care of.

Bump.

/ Used price on 1996 Snapper Series 15??? #3  
If the motor is still good, it might need a new carburetor to get it running. I would guess about $200-$400 depending on overall shape. I have bought them running on CL for $250

/ Used price on 1996 Snapper Series 15??? #4  
Doc...I was going to say ask $500 and take $450 if it's running...a new battery (if elec. start) would be a + to the asking...new blades and belts likewise...
Check the regional Craigs list ads to see what they are going for...I'm not that far from Alabama and I'd say the average is about $450 for similar mowers that still have some life left in them...

Good Luck...

Thanks guys. I'll pass you thoughts on.

/ Used price on 1996 Snapper Series 15??? #6  
I think Kyle is correct. $250.00 for an old mower would be plenty. Nobody is going to pay $500.00 for a mower that old. No offense but rear engine Snappers are nothing special....... and I do have one.

I've never seen the mower but it so happens that I'll be dropping by to see my mother in law this afternoon so I'll check and get a few photos if that would help. It is just dumb luck that I'll be there today as I'm stopping to visit for a day as a break on my West to east cross country motorcycle trip. IMG_0664.JPG

Photos below. Looks to me to be in good shape. Small seat trim needs to be reglued and I'll try to do that tomorrow. Undoubtedly needs fresh battery and oil/belts.
IMG_0777.JPGIMG_0778.JPG
IMG_0779.JPG
IMG_0781.JPG

/ Used price on 1996 Snapper Series 15??? #9  
Photos below. Looks to me to be in good shape. Small seat trim needs to be reglued and I'll try to do that tomorrow. Undoubtedly needs fresh battery and oil/belts.
View attachment 522975View attachment 522976
View attachment 522977
View attachment 522978

If the motor ran good, I'd give $350. I just re-motored my FIL's snapper, almost the same model. new motor was about $550, battery $22, axle boots $16, center main shaft bushing $8, starter solenoid $20, new front tires $45, and probably 40-50 hours of labor, fixing everything else.

/ Used price on 1996 Snapper Series 15??? #10  

It's most unfortunate that she let the mower simply sit and go to waste, although understandable. My WAG is that $200 - $250 would be a fair price. Any buyer wishing to put it back into good operational condition will be out at least that much.

Not to just beat down that mower - not so. While a 14hp motor sound anemic, Snapper has always been able to squeeze the most cutting power out of their mowers. I previously owned an 8hp 30" cut Snapper - and NEVER had it complain even when cutting weeds/brush down head high. What a workhorse!

Sadly, I had to leave it when I moved a long distance away. And I replaced it with a 26hp mower, band X, that doesn't have the cutting power that little 8hp mower had.