SNAPPER REAR-ENGINE RIDER...HELP!!

/ SNAPPER REAR-ENGINE RIDER...HELP!!
Slam,

I finally got my parts today. I got the drive disc (the rubber wheel and the rubber liner). It came together already assembled on the metal piece. All I had to do was put it on the metal holder (the one with the four studs and nuts). I also did what you said and put a new fiber shim in there. The new shim looks like it is almost made out of cardboard. But, guess what? It didn't work. It is doing the same dam thing it was doing before. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I put it up against a tree with the throttle turned all the way up and mower in 1st gear. I got off of the mower, while still left in gear and the tires didn't spin and the motor didn't choke down. I looked at the disc under the mower and the rubber wheel (part of the disc assembly) was spinning on the drive plate, but the whole drive disc assembly wasn't spinning. You know how the drive disc mounts on the keyed shaft of the mower. The shaft wasn't spinning. It does fine when you are just going on the ground. But when you get into thick grass, that is when it slown down and sometimes stops. Then, I have to rock it to get it to go and that gives me the red ****.

It is in way too good of shape to let it just go to waste. So, I have to fix it.

Do you think it could still be something with the drive disc assembly?

Think it could be a clutch adjustment? If so, HOW?

I don't know and I am bout' fed up with it.

Don't get me wrong, it will go on the flat ground like it isn't even a problem with it. But when the ground changes, so does the mower speed.
Please continue to help me with this situation. But if you don't want to fool with it any more, BELIEVE ME, I understand.

Still confused,
Travis

/ SNAPPER REAR-ENGINE RIDER...HELP!! #12  
Calm down cow poke! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The "disc" or plate that is mounted on the engine crankshaft should spin all the time. Are you saying that it is NOT? Even if the "plate" attached to the crankshaft isnt spinning the crankshaft itself better be or I am calling Ripleys! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If the plate attached to the crank is not spinning under load then it has to be loose on the crank. Check the tightness of the (I think on your model) 2 allen head screws that secure it to the crankshaft. Matter of fact I would remove them completely, slide the "disc" down a bit and check if your model has the keyed shaft. If it does make sure that the key is not sheared. If it is not a keyed model move the plate down about 1/8" lower than it's original position and re-tighten. Make sure the screws are hernia tight! Try it and see what happens.

Let me know! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Slam

Slammer,

The plate on the crankshaft spins like it is supposed to. It IS on a keyed crankshaft.

The plate on the crankshaft spins the "rubber wheel on the drive disc", but not the whole disc assembly, which causes the wheels not to spin.

In other words, the inner drive disc assembly stays stationary, while the "rubber wheel" on the outer drive disc spins on the plate connected to the crankshaft.

Travis

Slammer,

I MIGHT know what is wrong with my Snapper. Like i said, I replaced the drive disc assembly and it didn't solve the problem. But, it DID make a LITTLE difference. I now have another solution.

You think that it could be that the "driven disc" on the crankshaft needs to be moved farther down on the crankshaft to make a better and more "tighter" contact with the drive disc? That is what I believe now. How 'bout you?

If this is so, HOW DO I MOVE THE PLATE DOWN? I know that there are 2 allen head screws that hold either the pulley for the deck drive belt on the crankshaft, or the the 2 screws holds the metal driven disc on the crankshaft. IT IS A KEYED CRANKSHAFT. The 2 screws might just hold the pulley and the driven disc on the crank.

So what I am trying to as is HOW DO I MOVE THE DRIVEN DISC FARTHER DOWN ON THE CRANKSHAFT?

Thanks a lot,
Travis R

Slammer!

I fixed it!!! I fixed it!! I know what the problem was!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The driven disc that connects to the crankshaft was not making good contact to the drive disc at all. I loosened the 2 allen screws on the assembly connected to the crankshaft and took a hammer and hit the driven disc down to where it made a real good contact with the drive disc. I am not going to put the old drive disc back on. I will leave the new one on there. I also adjusted the clutch. YES, there IS an adjustment. I got to studying it and saw that there were some "metal spacers" on the clutch cable line that were just sliding back an forth doing nothing as a purpose. Well, they are there for a purpose. They are there to take up slack in the clutch system. They just went in FRONT of the left clutch/brake pedal. In other words, they went in front of your left foot behind the clutch/brake pedal. You probably know what I am talking about. (3 little separate round spacers.) I had to use all 3. Without these spacers, the clutch went all the way to the "floor" and the clutch didn't want to release. The mower wanted to keep going. Man, that thing will spin the wheels now!!! Not to mention the hill I went up!!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

One more thing though. When I am in 5th gear fixing to slow down and come to a stop, the mower "jumps" and sounds like something is "grinding". IF I PUSH THE CLUTCH/BRAKE PEDAL ALL THE WAY DOWN, IT WILL NOT DO THIS. It does this when I push the clutch in and "slow down", and sometimes when I am fixing to start off in 5th gear by letting out on the clutch VERY easy. Are you supposed to start off in 5th? Will you hurt it? I know this ain't normal, but is it a problem? Could it turn into a MAJOR problem? IT EVEN DID THIS BEFORE I CHANGED THE DRIVE DISC AND MOVED THE DRIVEN DISC DOWN ON THE CRANKSHAFT.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP, /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Travis

/ SNAPPER REAR-ENGINE RIDER...HELP!! #16  
Good for you Travis! I knew you could do it. In our last conversation I mentioned moving it down an 1/8" but it was buried in the meat of the post. Glad you got the ol' girl going bud....now get to mowin'! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Slam