snapper riding mowers??????

/ snapper riding mowers?????? #1  

BLUEBONNET2

Gold Member
Tractor
nortrac 25 xt JD zeroturn 54", briggs mtr.
good afternoon,
while getting ready for spring, i've been looking at riding mowers. today, i went to the closest SNAPPER dealer(about 30 miles)and they have 2 ea. 28" hi-vac riders, 11 hp BS, ele start, in stock, marked down for $925, plus $25 for delivery /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif( i don't have a truck yet /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) clearance deal.....
anyone use the "forest gump" mowers?? i only need to mow about 3/4 ac. and use my "yanny" for the rest of the fun /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
thanks for the info.....

regards,
bluebonnet2

BTW if there is a thread, whats the link? tried the search engine.............

/ snapper riding mowers?????? #2  
Next to JD, Snappers rock!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Before we went Deere, we used snappers. They are a durable and dependable mower. Equipped with a rear bagger they really "suck". /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif That sounds like a real good price.

/ snapper riding mowers?????? #3  
For many years at my last (in town) house with a 1/2-acre yard, I mowed with an old Snapper rider I bought second-hand from a lawn mowing company for $200. Nearly indestructible, little maintenance except to add grease to the gearbox once a year. The kids abused it and left it outside. It finally succumbed to a stuck exhaust valve in the Tecumsuh engine and it burned down. Mowed fast, and did a good job of vacuuming leaves. I would definitely consider another one if I was ever again in the market for a basic riding mower instead of a lawn or garden tractor.

/ snapper riding mowers?????? #4  
They are very tough little mowers. My brother in law recently had one that is about 20 years old given to him. I think it has an 8hp Briggs. He just bought 2 acres and the land is rough. It still has a lot of sticks and branches laying around and has dozer tracks a foot deep in some areas. We mowed the property several times this summer with the old Snapper and I can tell you NOTHING hurt that thing! Sometimes while mowing grass a foot tall or better, running over branches and anything else that came in its path we would hit a mound of dirt or fall into one of the dozer tracks. The front of the deck would bend inwards and hit the blade. No problem.... shut it down, flip it on its back, take a hammer and beat the deck back out, set it down, fire it up and continue like nothing ever happened! And oh yeah... the wet areas with 6-8" of standing water and a soggy bottom... no sweat. The Snapper would roll right through it.

The price sounds great to me. If it'll suit your needs you can't go wrong with one.

/ snapper riding mowers?????? #5  
We used to use a Snapper 30 yrs ago when I was a kid down in GA. I was about 10 yrs old and we mowed 1 acre of grass but I also used the mower to pull around a large farm wagon to do my chores. I was always banging up the deck driving around the corn fields to the hog pens. I always had to take a BFH to the deck before I could mow otherwise the blade would hit. It did the job and really held up to the abuse of farm life. Can't really comment on how they are built today. I haven't seen one in years.

/ snapper riding mowers?????? #6  
Sounds like a deal to me. If I'd found one like that for that price, I'd have bought it. As long as the small deck isn't a problem for you (and 3/4 acre seems like a lot to mow with a 28" deck) it should last a long time.

/ snapper riding mowers?????? #7  
Bluebonnet2,
Many/most of the posts here are relating their experiences with Snappers that were made many yrs ago. I'd be careful expecting the same performance from machines manufactured today. There is new ownership of the company. I'm skeptical when I read of anything that is new/redesigned. Want me to translate for you what that normally means for the end user? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TK

/ snapper riding mowers?????? #8  
I bought my newer Snapper '06 vintage Series 23 28" RER last summer for $450 from a nice gentleman who moved to a place with a smaller yard.

Not a 'cough in a carload' so far! Mine has a 12.5 Hp B&S Intek with electric start. I bought it partly because of the easy maintenance.