Snapper lt16 engine?

/ Snapper lt16 engine? #1  

joseph39421

I bought a snapper lt16 lastyear, the mower is a 1986 year model. The engine is a Briggs 16hp twin cylender, so far it runs ok, but I called and checked on a brand new engine for this mower and everyone I called told me they dont make that engine for this mower anymore. Their has to to a engine out their that will replace the one I have on it now, the engine I have now really needs rebuilding, but a machanic I talked to said it would be just about as cheap to buy a new engine for it, the lown mower itself is in wonderful condition, no rust anywhere, its been sheded from day one. If any of you guys can tell me what new engine will work on this mower I would greatly appreciate it.

/ Snapper lt16 engine? #2  
Any chance you can find the model # on the engine?

That said, you have all kinds of options, but your mechanic wasn't misleading you and I'm surprised he didn't go one step further and mention that engines are often as expensive as a new LT [but I'd put that old Snapper against the new LTs any day].

Not afraid of a little elbow grease?
SmallEngineRebuild
What scares me on something like that though is the rod bearings [or lack thereof], can't forget valve seats [a little old fashioned lapping may be fine] and valve guides; boring the cylinder walls will cost an hour shop time too. Might be due for a carb kit and ignition kit too, but these are pretty cheap - any chance one of those [or maybe plugged air-cleaner etc.] is the only problem?

Repower:
If you can get lucky stumbling across your engine on Ebay or some discount warehouse, you might be allright. Else 15HP+ can be spendy: NorthenTool

/ Snapper lt16 engine? #3  
Was just closing my browser and noticed the 15.5Briggs IC.

Have to wonder if it wouldn't be a great fit:

Briggs IC

/ Snapper lt16 engine?
the engine model number is 402437,0696-01 I really wish I could get a new briggs to work on it, the new v twin vanguards look like great engines. I dont mind spending extra for a new engine, like I said this mower is a heavy built mower and no rust anywhere, the old man that had it used to coat the underside of the deck with diesel fuel in the winter prior to storage and he also kept the deck really clean in the summer while mowing. I also put diesel on the deck of my mowers also, it sure keeps them from rusting, you should see the faces on everyone that sees the underside of this lt16 mower deck, their like how did he keep it so rust free, not sure where you live, but down here in south Mississippi peoples mower decks just rust out alot, for onething they dont clean them and they dont use diesel under the deck /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Snapper lt16 engine? #5  
Hmmmmm. I'm far from an expert on these [or anything /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif], so hopefully someone else will steer you right......anyway, I'm thinking the 422437 was the replacement [18hp same casting]. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Of course, that also being obsolete I have to wonder how a 305447 (that would be a Vanguard) would work. Looks like 422447 has been used succesfully. Or how about a Honda GX610Q?

You'll need to take a few measurements and see just how close you can come. I'm afraid any of them will require at least some part swapping if not minor to moderate mods. Good Luck! Let us know how it turns out! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Snapper lt16 engine? #6  
   / Snapper lt16 engine? #7  
Great link Bontai Joe! Is the 422437 still around? A year too late for my purposes anyway [that's not all bad, the deck was nearing Swiss Cheese status], but I'd bet it'd almost drop in that LT-16.

That's the same site I used to cross to the 422447 (that means any 3X2447 would likely be similar too). The Briggs cross ref I have doesn't list any of the XX2437s, but I don't completely trust it either.

If you go to the Briggs site, they have a great break down of their numbering system and a little digging will also yield a cross reference .pdf [I have it on my hard drive; you only want to download 33M once /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ]. It is interesting how wildly different engines of similar displacement, cylinder arrangement and RPM are HP rated. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif