Engine for Snapper lt16?

/ Engine for Snapper lt16? #1  

joseph39421

I am still trying to find a replacement engine for a Snapper lt16, I called several people about a new engine like I have on it now, everyone says they cant get a engine for it anymore. I even called Small Engine Warehouse, they said the the same thing I asked about a kit for maybe a Honda engine to fit on it. the guy I talked to acted like he could care less about trying to help me with it. He said that the mower is doomed basicly, their has to be a new engine out their somewhere that will work on it, I seen where a guy got a kit for his 1980 Cub Cadet on here, he put a new Honda on it, why cant I find something for my 1987 Snapper? I would love to have a engine with a oil filter on it.

/ Engine for Snapper lt16? #2  
Model#, spec# and SN off the old engine?

/ Engine for Snapper lt16? #3  
I take it that your engine is past rebuilding? What about finding another Snapper LT16 or it's Massey Ferguson clone with a better engine? Sorry to hear the Small Engine Warehouse wouldn't offer more help. There are probably several engines that could be made to work, but won't be a dropin fit. I wish I could be of more help, all I can suggest is get a hold of the specs of your engine and start checking to see what comesclose. Important dimensions are the base to drive shaft height, shaft diameter, shaft length. You can usually adapt boltdown holes by redrilling the tractor.

/ Engine for Snapper lt16? #4  
Like bontai_Joe said, you might need to be sure you're getting the right shaft options and will maybe need to do a little drilling, but I'm still thinking it wouldn't be to hard. The ones I noticed before were:

Briggs 422447
Honda GX610Q

Can't remember if either, neither, or both have a filter; thought the Briggs was a Vangaurd though, so it should.