Veteran Member

Default Snapper Comet Clutch

I need to lower the drive plate on a Snapper Comet lawnmower. This is the plate attacher to the motor shaft that the rubber edged drive 'clutch' acts against. It is rusted on and I am afraid too much force will damage it.

Any suggestions?

Tractor
    JD 4310,JD5420

Default Re: Snapper Comet Clutch

Usually, the rubber drive disk needs replacing. I'm not sure how to get it apart other than it is a keyed shaft usually. Some have a retaining screw.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B7300

the one I had needed to be machined (it had ripples worn in it). It is held on a keyed shaft with two set screws (both in the same hole). Remove the first and then look for a second one.

Tractor
    snapper rear engine riding mower

The rubber drive disc is held on with 3 some 4 bolts my snapper comet is 3, it takes a 7/16 0r 1/2 inch wrench it's not to hard I have replaced several. The cantelever metal disc it engages against is held on with 2 Allen head screws and has a shear pin it slides onto. You will have to remove the rubber drive disc if you have to replace it either way. I have worked on snapers older ones for 35 years. I will be glad to hel you in anyway I can.JAMESMATTDILLON