Snapper 3pt tiller? And wow, that's the last place I expected to break it...

/ Snapper 3pt tiller? And wow, that's the last place I expected to break it...
hwp said:
My guess is that you have a tiller that is designed to be used with a Snapper tractor. I had a Snapper 1855 (identical to a Massey 1855) and one of the attachments was a tiller like you describe. The rear PTO on the Snapper tractor ran at about 1000 rpm so if you are trying to use it with a 540 rpm PTO, it will run too slow. Mine worked very well but I don't have rocks.

I've turned the input gearbox around so it's a 2:1 speed increaser rather than a 2:1 speed reducer. It ends up spinning the tine shaft at half of PTO speed, so I have a tine speed of 270 RPM and 412RPM. It'd probably be better for the equipment to find a 1:1 box but that costs money. I'm cheap. Heck, I'm currently using a PTO shaft on it that used to go to an auger that broke, and the shaft lay in the mud for 5 or so years. Cut both ends off, shortened it, cleaned it up, and rebuilt the one broken ujoint and I have a perfectly good shaft for $15 and some time and consumables. Plus it's fun to weld.

/ Snapper 3pt tiller? And wow, that's the last place I expected to break it... #12  
I really liked the idea of a red snapper! ;)

Aren't they all red? Do you think I need to work on my AVATAR?

/ Snapper 3pt tiller? And wow, that's the last place I expected to break it... #13  
Trahere said:
I really liked the idea of a red snapper! ;)

Aren't they all red? Do you think I need to work on my AVATAR?

yup ya do.

/ Snapper 3pt tiller? And wow, that's the last place I expected to break it... #14  
slamfire that repair is easy made youllo have to face the ends of the shaft and center drill it dowel pin it then reweld itand turn the bead down to let the seal work on it.

/ Snapper 3pt tiller? And wow, that's the last place I expected to break it... #15  
Replacing the chain was the right thing to do.I have used the replacement links and have always had to take the case back apart as the chain would break in some place new. Ended up with three patches before doing it the correct way.