RER Snapper mower belt

/ RER Snapper mower belt #1  

BTDT

Veteran Member
Tractor
IH M Farmall-propane powered, H Farmall (father-in-laws), Ford 1300 diesel
Anyone made any modifications to get more life out of your belt? Mine would be useless after a couple days due to stretching. I added another idler pulley and problem seems to be solved. Now if I could just fix the stupid drive wheel with a real differential. Snapper owners know what I mean!

/ RER Snapper mower belt #2  
I only used one of these one summer, but didn't have any of the problems you describe. I'm sure the belt on mine was at least 5 years old. And the drive disc is a wear item that does need to be replaced periodically, but I'm guessing it's good for 2 to 3 years for most folks? Are you using OEM belts, or getting something from an auto parts store? Do you have a teenage son that likes to pop wheelies on this when you are not around? Snapper has been making thiese for decades, and I wouldn't think they could continue to sell them if everyone experienced belt failure in 2 days, so my thinking is that there has to be another cause.

/ RER Snapper mower belt #3  
I got 2 of em...Only had a belt problem when the crank pulley rusted and got "grabby", but after some use, it is fine.

Ive never had to replace a drive disc on any of the snappers Ive ever serviced, and Ive serviced a bunch, most were commercially used.

Do you know how to tension the belt? Adding another Idler goes against the factory design, any problems thereafter CANNOT be blamed on snapper.

/ RER Snapper mower belt #4  
Which RER do you have?
I have abused a 28" hi-vac for four years using it as a mini bushhog, I have busted one spindel and wore one eng to deck belt out also gone through several blades.

I sold a 38" hydro RER to my brother and he is having difficulties with the eng to deck belt, I have ordered a couple of OEM belts to see if that fixes it cause I had put probably 30 some odd hrs on the unit and never had any issues with it.
I think the automotive belt that is currently on it is made a little different than a deck mower belt.

I forgot to mention my nine year old 21" self propelled Snapper that has had one Briggs fuel tank replaced.

/ RER Snapper mower belt #5  
wushaw said:
Which RER do you have?
I have abused a 28" hi-vac for four years using it as a mini bushhog, I have busted one spindel and wore one eng to deck belt out also gone through several blades.

I sold a 38" hydro RER to my brother and he is having difficulties with the eng to deck belt, I have ordered a couple of OEM belts to see if that fixes it cause I had put probably 30 some odd hrs on the unit and never had any issues with it.
I think the automotive belt that is currently on it is made a little different than a deck mower belt.

I forgot to mention my nine year old 21" self propelled Snapper that has had one Briggs fuel tank replaced.

I forgot to mention my 30 year old Snapper Self Propelled mower.

4hp, original points, 1-2 pull starter, bagger, optional discharge chute...love the thing.

/ RER Snapper mower belt
This mower was saved by my brother from scrap heap, he got it to running and give it to me and I used it about 5 yrs before engine gave up. I replaced the engine when we moved to our current location, I have a levee that I mow up and down and about 1/4 mile long on top. It takes/gets a lot of use/abuse. It is almost bullet proof. I go through about 2 drive discs a mowing season, and about 3 or 4 blades. I buy all blades, belts, discs from local snapper dealer in Kaufman. There is very little adjustment to tighten belt, it will still be in good shape, just will not cut thick grass after a couple of days. This mower is probably an early 80's model. I have 12 acres that I mow a walking path around the perimeter, and my yard is about 1 acre mowed. It still does a good job for its age. I guess it's normal for the amount of use it gets.

/ RER Snapper mower belt #7  
Have you ever adjusted the clutch tension? Or checked Tension?

There SHOULD be ALOT of adjustment in the belt adjustment, by loosiening the backbone tube, and sliding the deck, and front end forward.

2 discs a season is extreme, and it sounds like the disc is either too loose on the plate, or possibly too tight.

/ RER Snapper mower belt
Yes, I adjust drive plate up and down after installing new drive wheel, and as needed after that to keep things moving. I may have learned something here about moving backbone tube and deck for belt tension, I'll have to check that. This mower gets a lot of use. I mow about 4 hrs when I get started, going through a couple tanks of gas. I keep paths mowed that my wife and I walk for exercise. Also, as I stated in previous post, it was a simple addition of another idler pulley that has cured belt problem now. Probably was something that I didn't have to do, but now I know it will work until belt comes apart.

/ RER Snapper mower belt #9  
BTDT said:
Yes, I adjust drive plate up and down after installing new drive wheel, and as needed after that to keep things moving. I may have learned something here about moving backbone tube and deck for belt tension, I'll have to check that. This mower gets a lot of use. I mow about 4 hrs when I get started, going through a couple tanks of gas. I keep paths mowed that my wife and I walk for exercise. Also, as I stated in previous post, it was a simple addition of another idler pulley that has cured belt problem now. Probably was something that I didn't have to do, but now I know it will work until belt comes apart.

Hehe, no wonder your belts arent lasting. Thats the procedure to tension the belt.

You put the belt on, and engage the blade, engine off. The Sliding pulley should be roughly 1" from the belt when engaged.

If the pulley and belt slide all the way over and almost touch the other side of the belt, you need to first look under the seat, at the back of the backbone, and loosen the clamp up. Then disengage the belt, and slide the whole front of the mower, deck and all, Forward, in smal incrments, engaging the belt every time to check for proper tension.

I know a man who cuts 1 acre every week with his old Hi-Vac, and the belt must be 5 years old on it. Kept properly tensioned, they last a VERY long time.

Too loose and it slips, flops around, and frays.

Too Tight, and it rubs on the crank pulley, stretches, and vibrates

/ RER Snapper mower belt
Thanks for the reply's. I never would have thought to lengthen frame to tighten belt. Looks like adjustment should be with the idler. I still have the old belts, because I knew one day I would stumble on to the solution. Guess that gets back to having manuals for your equipment. But, like I said, this thing came from the scrap heap to begin with. It's been a good day.