Snapper RER: What do I have?

/ Snapper RER: What do I have? #11  
The deck is all I remember being different, the way it has a lip all the way around the bottom so the tip of the blade does not cut.
I remember when they were designing the deck, it was made with one strike of a very large punch-press. The bed or jig on the punch-press had to collapse in order to get the deck off it after it was made.
Gerald

/ Snapper RER: What do I have? #12  
I bought a used 33" Hi Vac model in 1990 so I would agree that its probably a 80's model. I paid $300 for it. Used it for approximately 5 years before selling it to a mower shop for $150. I think we both got good deals! I bought a bagging kit for it that worked real well. Included in the kit were angled metal wings that you bolted on to the blade I assume to increase suction or the discharge of the cut grass up the tube into the bag. After a couple of years I switched over to mulching with their "Ninja" bade. It did an excellent job at mulching. Congratulations on getting a mower that should give you great service.

/ Snapper RER: What do I have? #13  
   / Snapper RER: What do I have?
Thanks for the picture, BTDT. I will give that a look next time I head out to the shed.

Well, all the neighbors were mowing their lawns over the last couple days, so I took the Snapper out for a spin to keep up with the Joneses. I was hoping to wait until I treated it to a tuneup and a new blade, but such is life. Considering the deferred maintenance, the mower performed well. Never had any hangups, other than my getting used to the machine.

Two things I noticed:

1. With the engine throttled up, it tends to hop a bit when I put it in gear. Can I adjust the drive discs to make that go away, or is it common to this type of transmission? If it's common, I guess I'll just have to keep the throttle down when putting it into gear or when I'm switching between 1 & reverse.
2. Cutting with the deck set to 5 (highest cut setting) was a little too long, but when I moved it to 4 it seemed waaay too short. Again, any adjustment I can do? I'm not sure if the mower is entirely to blame on this point, as the previous owner of my house never rolled the lawn so it's lumpier than an old mattress. There are all sorts of weird little divots & lumps in the lawn that showed up when I mowed.

On the bright side, when I came back from Lowe's with a cheapo $28 trimmer, my wife gave me a very concerned look and asked why I didn't get a nice trimmer that I would like. Apparantly, since I got a such a good deal on a used mower, I now have a budget to get a nice string trimmer! I think I'll start another thread and get some advice on that front.

/ Snapper RER: What do I have? #15  
I love the Snapper design. Simple, durable and cheap. Easy to get many years of lawncutting done if you can tinker a bit with tools. They just don't turn real sharp if you have lots of trees.

Check the rubber accordian type rear axle protectors, make sure they are not cracked and you can even pull them back and put some grease in them to make sure things are good.