Snapper RER: What do I have?

/ Snapper RER: What do I have? #1  

Big Al

I just picked up this Snapper RER at an auction on Wednesday for $130. 11hp, electric-start, B&S engine with a 28" deck. Pretty basic as far as riding mowers & lawn tractors go, but should be plenty for my yard. What I'd like to know is where I can find the model # and, more importantly, where I could get an owners manual and/or service manual. I found a book for rebuilding B&S engines on Amazon.com that could be helpful, if nothing else.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

http://scoot.net/gallery/bbs/DCP_0099.JPG

http://scoot.net/gallery/bbs/DCP_0100.JPG

/ Snapper RER: What do I have? #2  
Boy that brings back memories.. A snapper just like that is what I had growing up.. It lasted over +20 yrs i believe before the motor konked out.. My dad then donated the rest of it to a relative who chassis was worn out but the engine was good for a transplant

Sorry I cant help more..

/ Snapper RER: What do I have? #3  
We had an old handlebar one like that too many years ago. All I recall about it was the belt to the mower deck was this oddball 6 sided thing (called a hex belt) that was not easy to find. Snapper Company (Part of Agco/Simplicity) and Snapper dealers should still have all the data available for the machine. You might have to reference the model number based on age if the tag is missing, my guess is it's a late 1970's/early 1980's model.

-Fordlords-

/ Snapper RER: What do I have?
Thanks for the reply, Fordlords. Late 70s/early 80s? If so, it's in really good shape, as the deck only has some minor surface rust where some paint chipped away.

Did they stamp a VIN anywhere specific, or did they just use a sticker? If the latter, I bet that sticker is long gone...

/ Snapper RER: What do I have? #5  
I think it was a sticker or adhesive plate somewhere on the downtube. It's really hard to say what exact model it is as Snapper made so many, and they were all so similar looking. Very reliable too, can usually be brought to life with nothing more than basic mechanical fiddling.
-Fordlords-

Thanks, Molerj! I had looked on their website but didn't see that page. Very helpful.

My normal hobby is restoring vintage scooters (1960s Vespas), so I'm very comfortable working on this mower. Like Vespa scooters, I'm especially impressed by the simplicity and durability of the design.

I'll definitely look up my local Snapper dealer for parts.

/ Snapper RER: What do I have? #8  
My grandad bought one of those Snappers in the mid-60s. If I remember correctly the gas tank was metal and it was mounted beside the motor instead of behind the seat. I believe the handle bars were v-shaped with a straight bar to grip instead of like a bicycle.

I put a lot of miles in on that ol' mower. It's still in service. The only major repair that I know of was because grandaddy, who took real good care of that mower, always drained the gas and oil from it when he put it up for the winter, forgot to put oil in it when he cranked it one spring. He had to replace the motor.

But I believe the late 70's early 80's age estimate is correct.

They're great cutters.

hud

/ Snapper RER: What do I have? #9  
The Snapper 28 is a Hi-Vac. It doesn't cut as well as the regular RERs but if you need to bag grass or leafs it does very well.
I have a 28" I use to bag sweetgum ballls in the back yard.
My dad retired from Snapper, so when I was young all we had for a mower was a Snapper. I have 2 now, the 28" RER and a Z2003 ZTR, 60" cut.
Just for the heck of it, the 26", 30", 41", were reg RERs, 25", 28", 33", were HI-vacs.
Gerald

Thanks for the heads-up, Gerald. What's the difference between a regular RER and the Hi-Vac models? Just the deck, I assume? I'm thinking about getting a mulching kit and just going that route. I've never been one to bag my clippings.