Snow Attachments Ford 715 Snow Thrower

/ Ford 715 Snow Thrower #1  

fishpick

Platinum Member
Tractor
L4760 & BX24
OK - so today I was out and about and discovered a Ford 715 Snow Thrower (48")... in very good shape... for only $400. Here's the catch (which is also a plus - maybe).

The snow thrower's previous owner modify it and changed it from a front mount to a rear 3PT mount by welding up a nice new bracket.

That mod - in my mind - poses an issue... The blower was front mount and I would guess used a mid-PTO... which would have a lot higher RPMs than the rear PTO... But that assumption is based on my knowledge of tractors... are the Ford/NH tractors different in that the mid-PTO is slower like the rear?

Basic question here is - is this a good deal for a modded snow blower - or does the reduction in PTO speed this thing is going to take switching from mid to rear make it something that will more burp snow out of it than blow it?

Opinions welcome!

/ Ford 715 Snow Thrower #2  
I have a 915 blower that I think is the same only wider. The blower is the same unit mounted on front or back. According to the dealer I bought it from the front mount kit has a chain and sprocket reduction that runs the blower at the 540 rpm. Try to go to West Hills Tractor - New Holland & Case IH and all of the parts manuals are there. Mine works great running direct off the rear pto.

/ Ford 715 Snow Thrower #3  
I have a 715 3 point hitch snow blower (60") that I purchased last summer. After going over the unit replacing anything that was bad and painting it up to match my Kubota, Iwas excited about using it the first couple of snowfalls. I was disipointed that it did not throw the snow as far as other units. It only throws the snow six to ten feet(depending on the moisture content). But for the $200 I paid for it, I think it was well worth it. The only downfall to not throwing the snow as far, is that on my last pass I am throwing the snow again from my first pass. But I find that it is much better than useing the rear blade. That being said, It depends on the conditions needed to remove your snow. If you have a lot of drifting, and the snow will really accumulate then this blower may not be an idea choice. If you are dealing with just snow fall (not so much drifting) then I belieave it will work out fine for you. I will keep the one that I have until I come across a smoking deal on one that throws the snow farther. If the unit is in good working order and fitts your needs, then I think that it would be a fair (not great) deal. I hope this helps. Dan

/ Ford 715 Snow Thrower #4  
I have that same unit. Some pix here blizzard of 2005 It has dug me out of 30" snowfalls.

It is designed for direct drive at 540 RPM. The impeller is a little on the small side so it only throws snow 8-12 feet depending on conditions. That said it is waaay better than a rear blade, especially on a smaller tractor that doesn't have enough weight to push the snow.

It being May - I'd see if you can knock the price down a bit. It'd be a steal at $300 -$350. $400 is a fair price if it is in good condition. Does it come with PTO shaft & chute rotator?

/ Ford 715 Snow Thrower
hazmat - it comes with the PTO shaft... the chute rotator needs some help - there is a u-joint in it that snapped off... and the cable is just sorta wrapped around it.

I see you pictures and now I'm wondering if I really should just bit the bullet and get a new (or hunt for a used) front mount. My driveway is a tad over 4/10 of a mile long... I'm wondering if backing up the length 4 times is something I'll regret!

/ Ford 715 Snow Thrower #6  
fishpick said:
...I see you pictures and now I'm wondering if I really should just bit the bullet and get a new (or hunt for a used) front mount. My driveway is a tad over 4/10 of a mile long... I'm wondering if backing up the length 4 times is something I'll regret!

In an effort to more efficiently seperate you from the money burning a hole in your pocket, I'll tell you this. My new B3030 is coming with a front blower w/ hydraulic chute rotation & electric deflector :cool: :D

/ Ford 715 Snow Thrower
Bought the 715 for $350... needs a little TLC - but at least I have a blower to get through the drifts - if I need it!

/ Ford 715 Snow Thrower #8  
$350 is not too bad. You will have a blower that will work pretty good for a not too bad of price. Good luck and I hope it fits your needs.
Dan

/ Ford 715 Snow Thrower #10  
Great deal, I sold a 715 for $1350 last year.

Andy