Snow Attachments Snow plow on FEL of my Kubota for woods

/ Snow plow on FEL of my Kubota for woods #1  

MarkLeininger

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota 2710
Need to plow a path through the pasture and woods for horseback trails (don't ask). My wife destroyed our Ariens snowthrower taking it through the woods, so I'm trying to think of something I can put on the front of my B2710 to do this. First thought is some kind of snowplow blade that either attaches to bucket or replaces bucket. I can't drive fast and the blade needs to stay up off the ground to keep from destroying the trails, so this is a little different requirement than a vanilla snowplow blade. I'm thinking of something like the V shape on the front of a locomotive that throws snow to both sides. I can weld and am pretty handy, but am pinched for time so I'd rather buy something. All suggestions welcome.
thanks

/ Snow plow on FEL of my Kubota for woods #2  
Mark - Is this a lot of snow; rough ground; etc.... I was wondering if you would be just as much ahead to simply drive through pulling a rear blade? On gravel or dirt I can turn my RB backwards and drag it to clear snow without messing up the trail/drive by digging in. Maybe weld a smaller vee shaped drag to mount on your 3PH? also, running this in the float position will help to avoid scalping and tearing up your trails too.

Again...if your moving 30" of deep snow at a time this approach may not work.

/ Snow plow on FEL of my Kubota for woods #3  
Champy said:
Mark - Is this a lot of snow; rough ground; etc.... I was wondering if you would be just as much ahead to simply drive through pulling a rear blade? On gravel or dirt I can turn my RB backwards and drag it to clear snow without messing up the trail/drive by digging in. Maybe weld a smaller vee shaped drag to mount on your 3PH? also, running this in the float position will help to avoid scalping and tearing up your trails too.

Again...if your moving 30" of deep snow at a time this approach may not work.

along with that idea, I have welded some tubes on my scraper blade and bought snow plow shoes from TSC. I don't see any reason why you couldn't just put the shoes about 6" below the blade.

/ Snow plow on FEL of my Kubota for woods
Champy said:

The snow in this area is not generally that much, maybe 5" snowfall at a time is the very most with some drifting to maybe a foot. The ground in the pasture is of course pretty smooth, the trails through the woods aren't real bad, a few ruts here and there, this is all former prairie and cornfields that have grown over so it's pretty flat. I've never used a rear blade, the idea of dragging it backward sounds like a perfect idea because it won't get hooked on anything that might stick up even if I have it too low. The 3pt doesn't push down, so there wouldn't be that much weight on it if I just let it slide on the ground. I have tried using the float position with the bucket but that didn't work too well, it always eventually hooks on something and starts digging in. Also going forward with a bucket is slow even if it doesn't dig in, eventually it fills up and you just can't push it all out of the way so you have to keep emptying the bucket. This is about 4 miles of trails so I have to find some way to keep moving or I'll never finish. I think the neighbor might have an old rear blade, I might borrow it to try it out. thanks

jimmer2880 said:
along with that idea, I have welded some tubes on my scraper blade and bought snow plow shoes from TSC. I don't see any reason why you couldn't just put the shoes about 6" below the blade.

This is a good idea, might actually make the front bucket work. I was trying to think of something like this for the front bucket. If I float it and it's sliding on shoes to keep it up off the ground, that would solve the problem digging in. If I can move fast enough I can keep pushing the bucket once it fills up. Maybe I could rig up something that clips on the leading edge of the bucket that's removeable, like those pallet forks that hook onto the bucket edge. I'll think about this too, thanks

/ Snow plow on FEL of my Kubota for woods #6  
Mark, take a look at these pics. Sometimes you can find an old truck plow for almost nothing. I have the bobcat quikattach on my FEL and the plow is 7-1/2ft. Shorter plows can be found.

Attachments

• Tractor 002.jpg
    Tractor 002.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 1,858
  • Tractor 003.jpg
    Tractor 003.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 1,385
  • Tractor 004.jpg
    Tractor 004.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 1,201
Deerlope said:
Mark, take a look at these pics. Sometimes you can find an old truck plow for almost nothing. I have the bobcat quikattach on my FEL and the plow is 7-1/2ft. Shorter plows can be found.

Nice setup. What does a quick attach setup like that cost? What hydrauilcs are you using to angle the plow left and right? I could make up some removeable shoes to keep the edge up off the ground and let it float. Take the shoes off and do my drive.

I should share the story about my wife wrecking the Ariens. I told her she'd ruin it, but she doesn't pay any attention to me so off she went. Hours later she comes back pushing it into the yard. She says "you were right". Losing a snowthrower was a small price to pay to hear those precious words. I pulled the cover off under the area between the engine and the auger assembly and a handful of bearings came rolling out. Completely tore up the race and cage. Who knows what she hit, the auger was full of branches and mud.

/ Snow plow on FEL of my Kubota for woods #8  
Hiya,

Here's what I use, it's a Curtis on a small JD. For the dirt road I put the skid shoes all the way down, set the loader on float and it doesn't catch on much. It's good in powder to medium weight stuff, if I get a foot or so of heavy stuff, it gets pushed around a bit. I just take it off float, load the front more and I get my steering back. A bit over 2K for my setup this past summer.

They come in different widths from 5 to 9 feet I think. It's a rugged setup, heavy and strong.

My 2 cents

Tom

Attachments

• DSC01134-50.JPG
    DSC01134-50.JPG
    223 KB · Views: 953
  • DSC01135-50.JPG
    DSC01135-50.JPG
    215.4 KB · Views: 733
  • DSC01171-50.JPG
    DSC01171-50.JPG
    179 KB · Views: 669
   / Snow plow on FEL of my Kubota for woods #9  
Mark-

My suggestion would be to find an old plow on eBay or other. Cut it in half and make a pull type V-Plow and simply drag it behind the tractor. With the "nose steel" the front tip should climb over the bumps and if either side catches something, it will simply slide left or right until it gets around it.

If a plow is not available, any flat piece of steel or even 2x10 or 2x12 would work ... just something to make a "V".

With this setup, you should be able to fly pretty good down the path without any concern of hooking something

Attachments

• Pull type v plow.GIF
    Pull type v plow.GIF
    10.4 KB · Views: 1,932
   / Snow plow on FEL of my Kubota for woods #10  
By the way, I know you said not to ask, but having grown up by you, horses cannot walk through 6" of snow?

Knowing what the cost to own, I guess it is safer to groom the trails for this type of investment.