Snow Attachments Why all the different snow blower brands?

/ Why all the different snow blower brands? #1  

Wyld Bill

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra
I have been doing research on snow blowers today during the snow storm.
Ok why are there so many snow blower manufactures?
So far I have:
Argo Trend
JRW
LuckNow
Lull
Allied/Farm King
buhler
Woods
RAD
Pronovost
BerVac
Schulte
IFE

Oy Vey!
They range from $1800 to $8000 depending on the brand, model, how the shute truns, etc.

If the tractor I am getting is 60" wide should I get a 60" wide blower or a wider one?
What is with the PTO horsepower rang all over the place. The tractor I am buying is only 21HP at the PTO. I almost backed out on purchasig the tractor because I looked at Woods snow blowers first & the 60" is rated for a min of 25 HP @ the PTO. Then some other brands say you can use thier 72" with a PTO HP of 20 :confused:
Some snow blowers wiegh 285# & some weigh 600#

My local dealer has two left over 60" blower for $1995 with tax. One is a AGRO TREND, the other is a JRW whichhe said is pretty much the same. Is this a good deal? Are these good blowers or junk?

/ Why all the different snow blower brands? #2  
Because there is sometimes alot of snow to be blown......no one company has been able to handle all the snow.:D

/ Why all the different snow blower brands? #3  
All I can comment on is my Blizzard B64 by RAD. Good solid unit works great with the pto hp almost the same as yours. 64" would be a good width for your tractor. Wider would be of no benefit for me as it would still be one pass down the drive and one pass back. Wider will most likely need a slower ground speed to keep up with the snow intake.

/ Why all the different snow blower brands?
shvl73 said:
All I can comment on is my Blizzard B64 by RAD. Good solid unit works great with the pto hp almost the same as yours. 64" would be a good width for yor tractor.

Yeah the Blizzard is a perfect example of,.. Huh??:confused:
It is a 64" but it says it works with a 20-40 HP tractor/16-35 PTO HP
But the Woods 60" says 25-45 PTO HP. I e-mailed them & they said under 25 HP PTO & it won't work for you.
Weird. Maybe Woods drivetrain has a lot of drag....or the guy that e-mailed me back is a major drag.:rolleyes:

How much for BLizzard about $1940?

shvl73 said:
All I can comment on is my Blizzard B64 by RAD. Good solid unit works great with the pto hp almost the same as yours. 64" would be a good width for your tractor. Wider would be of no benefit for me as it would still be one pass down the drive and one pass back. Wider will most likely need a slower ground speed to keep up with the snow intake.

What range are you in & what speed are you going in a good snow storm (6"-12")??

I wanted a 2815 or 3215 but I'm getting a good deal on the 2615.

/ Why all the different snow blower brands? #6  
I honestly don't recall the cost, as it was almost 5 years ago. I think it was about $1800.00. I would get as much input here as possible as to size/power and also discuss with the selling dealers. Snow moisture content will be a factor, as well as design. I really didn't know what I was looking for at the time and relied on my dealers input. I did look at some others and some seemed crude and lightweight. If you're on a dirt drive, I would think skid shoes would be a must have item. Some don't include them as a standard item.

/ Why all the different snow blower brands? #7  
Wyld Bill said:
What range are you in & what speed are you going in a good snow storm (6"-12")??

I wanted a 2815 or 3215 but I'm getting a good deal on the 2615.
I operate mostly in mid-range. Our tractors are close in power. As far as speed, I guess, a slow walk in heavy snow, average walk speed in 6-12" snow, if dry. Less than 6" of snow, almost a run. I have my skid shoes all the way down for max clearance and I don't break shear pins or pick up gravel.

shvl73 said:
I operate mostly in mid-range. Our tractors are close in power. As far as speed, I guess, a slow walk in heavy snow, average walk speed in 6-12" snow, if dry. Less than 6" of snow, almost a run. I have my skid shoes all the way down for max clearance and I don't break shear pins or pick up gravel.

WHo sells Blizzard around Maine NH?

My driveway is tar then stone dust so rocks shouldn't be a problem.
What is the space with your shoes all the way down?

/ Why all the different snow blower brands? #9  
Wyld Bill said:
WHo sells Blizzard around Maine NH?
I'm not sure exactly. The dealer I bought my set up from is no longer with Mahindra, I haven't been back.

Wyld Bill said:
My driveway is tar then stone dust so rocks shouldn't be a problem.
What is the space with your shoes all the way down?
I just measured, it's about 1".

/ Why all the different snow blower brands? #10  
A snowblower should be sized at least a few inches wider than the wheel track, but adding wings to a slightly narrower blower will accomplish the same thing. The important rating on a blower, is how much HP the blowers gearbox can handle. I think they usually fall around 25/50/etc hp. Snowblowers blow snow, and what blows the snow is horsepower. You can run a 100" snowblower [if you can lift it] with 10 PTOhp, you just are not going to be able to go very fast. What snowblower equiped tractors really need, is the ability to go slow enough that the availible HP can get rid of the snow. That's why a hydrostatic xmission really shines blowing snow. You can keep the groundspeed feeding the snow into the blower at the proper rate. Normally, when you are blowing snow, the tractor is rarely ever bogged down. The fan in the blower is blowing the snow out with very little effort, or fuel usage. But start trying to back up faster, and jamb more snow into the unit than it can get rid of, and you quickly start loosing RPM's, blowing distance, and since you are working the engine, you are wasting diesel.