Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Moving Snow

/ Moving Snow #11  
Hi,

I can't advise you on what chains will do to your concrete or asphalt driveway but they do help a lot on our steep gravel drive when thawing & freezing turn it into a bob-sled run.

We use standard JD chains front & rear on non-loaded R4s with a rear weight box & a front blower.

One thing to keep in mind is that when using down pressure or the float position that the impliment's weight is nolonger on the front tires which reduces their ability to steer. Raise the impliment & steering returns.

Stay warm.

/ Moving Snow #13  
After 18 years I still haven't seen the need to have chains on the turf tires of my 4WD JD 755. With my 9N with ag tires, I bought chain the first winter. In my opinion, it all depends on whether you've got 2wd vs 4wd (and rear diff lock.)

I'm intrigued by this. I have a larger JD that I just got (a JD 950, 30 hp) with turf tires. It has a FEL and is 4wd with a rear diff lock. I was thinking that I'd definitely need chains. I plan to move snow that may not be a fresh snowfall, and possibly piled up from drifting.

Any thoughts on whether I'll need chains?

/ Moving Snow #14  
i push and pull snow with my rear blade.

tire chains are good... at least if you get a decent set.

/ Moving Snow #15  
I have a long gravel driveway on a fairly steep hill. Without chains on my R4's, I could not make it up my road with the slightest dusting of snow cover.

Attachments

• Chains.JPG
    Chains.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 496
   / Moving Snow #16  
I have a long gravel driveway on a fairly steep hill. Without chains on my R4's, I could not make it up my road with the slightest dusting of snow cover.

Those are serious chains.:D

/ Moving Snow #17  
I believe it depends upon how much snow you get in your area and what the typical snow fall is per storm.

I find if the snow is six or more inches snow blowing is the way for me to go, but if it is below that amount it is difficult to blow so I end up pushing the now around or just driving through it (not a good idea as it packs down.

Nice thing about snow blowing is you still have snow banks but they are about thirty feet away and you only have to deal with it once!

/ Moving Snow #18  
I have lived in the snow belt along Lake Erie all my 44 young years and use a Kubota B 6000 4wd with snowblower 48" front mounted have pretty hilly property the idea is to get the tractor up or down the hill .dont get sideways the tires can act like ice skates when sideways so if you have to back up the hill we get 250" of snow per year almost daily during winter.I also have Ford jubilee with back blade and economy tractor with front and back blades for backup

/ Moving Snow #19  
hondo-- here's my drive: gravel, relatively steep, especially at top, curve at bottom, about 200' .... Had no trouble last year with 2360 blower and turf tires.

I got chains when I bought the tractor, but have yet to need/use them. Only used 4WD on occasion, diff lock only twice. The backhoe on the 2310 --for rear ballast-- was largely responsible, I suspect; without one, your situation could be quite different. Blower also had no trouble with deep, icy ridges; wet snow slowed it a little.

Attachments

• upper drive:curve.JPG
    upper drive:curve.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 231