Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Snow clearing

/ Snow clearing #41  
Yes, I do worry a little about that. One TBN fix I have seen mentioned is putting a piece of PVC pipe on the bucket edge. That way the pipe rides on the asphalt and not the metal bucket edge. I have not tried that yet.

The snow melted today and my bucket scratches concrete and tears through the tar making light covered scratches, especially when back dragging. Blacktop can be sealed, but I'm not sure what the aesthetic fix is for concrete.

jmf

/ Snow clearing #42  
Does anyone who is plowing with a dirt bucket worry about scratching blacktop or concrete driveways?

jmf

Will any bucket used to remove snow from solid pavement scratch it? - Yes.

Do I worry about it? - No.

It's blacktop, and as long as I'm using "float," scratching it a little is all I'm doing...

I'm sure that years and years of it (23 and counting, so far...) will eventually wear it to the point of replacement, at which time I'll do so.

Lunk

/ Snow clearing #43  
I get complaints from folks from "away" who can't understand scratches in their pavement from tire studs. I have suggested they find someone else to plow if they are concerned, only problem, noone else w/o studs can do it:rolleyes::cool:. Sometimes you have to take the good with the bad. There are urethane cutting edges out there for plows/buckets, but the price and the fact that they still will scour pavement are of little help to you. The other option is to make some sort of shoes and salt the heck out of the leftover.

/ Snow clearing #44  
I got out this year on my new tractor. I have not had 4x4 or FEL in a few years. Even though I have 100s hours with this tractor. My first hour of snow was different. I would say the best thing to do is practice in a non important area. I dig a path to the dog and to the trash ben.

I have two blades that I use one is forward and one is backwards. You can also use the back of the blade to push forward. I just use the notion with the bucket if I did it with dirt I can do it with snow.

I have a rubber hammer that is smack the metal with this helps kick off any snow.

I like the wax idea, wonder if you can just use veg oil. It might make a mess or it might freeze on a cover that repels everything.

A note on the wife, I usually leave or create a small pile of snow where she drives so that way she is always needing me to play in the snow.:rolleyes:

/ Snow clearing #45  
My neighbor uses a box blade on the road when their is a small amount of snow on the ground. I want to ask him how it works but I don't want my questions to open the door of "hey help me":D

A small note, up here where snow was created for two bladed and snow bunnies, clearing snow is different then the heavy ice stuff they get back east. So when reading peoples post it might be a good idea to note where they are from. I mean if their from Canada or SD then they might have to remove snow on a regular bases. But others might need to clear a good snow fall once twice a month. So the equipment or notion of importance is different.

/ Snow clearing #46  
Good Afternoon Duncan,
Hey ole buddy very good post, and great suggestions !!! BTW after 5 years on TBN shouldnt you have more than 123 posts ??? :confused::)

Yes, I SHOULD. I blame it on having kids!! Too little time to head North with them hitting the age where they're involved in sports and too little forum time with homework and such.

At the risk of making my tractor friends jealous, I've been surfing a lot of gun forums as well (gasp) with my Bullseye pistol obcession (any sport known as "three gun" has to be a cool mansport....in tractoring it's really tough to justify 3 tractors to the 'ol ball and chain!)

/ Snow clearing #47  
Gempler's sells a graphite paint that i have used for years on blades and buckets. Works reasonably well.

Ken

/ Snow clearing #48  
With a front end loader mounted blade, you could use a 3 pt counterweight out of concrete if you needed more weight. For me, a front mounted blade is so much easier on the neck and you can make very tall piles. Mine is quick attach but i have yet to need the bucket for snow but i do swap for doing firewood.

I can see where the front snow blower/rear blade combination could be nice. I would be blowing into the wind most of the time so i would be covered unless i drove through the snow first and came back the other way. I would like a snow blower more for fun. The FEL plow does everything i need. I just bought an old one for $100 and weld on an attachment plate. For my previous tractor with no quick attach, i bought a new Curtis and replaced the bucket with it. My brother had a plow whose frame he bolted to the inside of his bucket so he could easily have use of his bucket if necessary. All of that leverage made me uncomfortable but it worked for him.

Ken

Ken