Snow Equipment Owning/Operating R4's and snow don't mix

/ R4's and snow don't mix #1  

nightrodjc

Tractor
04 Deere 4610 E-hydro
My Deere with 17.5x24 R4 tires in 4wd can't make it up a hill my truck can in 2wd:confused: It's time for some R1's or chains..

/ R4's and snow don't mix #2  
I'm surprised, there's all kinds of tire debates but never heard anything that bad about industrials. I have them and do alot of snow removal work with out much trouble, I did put chains on the front just for that little extra traction I needed on hilly icy drives. Made a set for the rears but have never needed them.

/ R4's and snow don't mix #3  
My 28 HP Jinma tractor with 4x4 and R1's can out pull and push twice the snow my neighbors 38HP JD 4x4 with R4's. His biggest problem is he can not steer even in 4 wheel drive. Its funny to me his 30K tractor can not clear his drive and he has to pay me with my 10K tractor and 1/2 the HP to do it for him. He hates his R4's but it will cost a arm and leg to replace so he is stuck.

Chris

/ R4's and snow don't mix #4  
I have never had a problem with my R4's and snow. R4's and ice yes but my hills aren't that steep and dont have drop offs so I still don't have chains. I have drive my tractor through about 3 - 4 feet of snow up a slight hill no problem. My tractor is almost the same size as your maybe a little larger but much heavier. I think weight has alot to do with it. I would reccomend chains if you do anything because if you buy R1's you will still need chains.

/ R4's and snow don't mix #5  
R-4's and snow do mix well at my place, but as the hill gets steeper, eventually you will need chains.

Right-quarter-panel-Kubota-.jpg

/ R4's and snow don't mix #6  
Wet snow and R-4's don't match. I find they're fine otherwise.

R-1's I find aren't a whole lot better at least in big wide sizes.

/ R4's and snow don't mix #7  
I had R4's on my previous tractor, B3030, and it would spin all four tires in the snow on my asphalt driveway. The R3 Titan turfs on my new GL3240 work much better, at least for me, in the snow. I have only spun the tires once with the turfs.

/ R4's and snow don't mix
I was thinking that loading the rears might help but after talking to a guy who has the same tires loaded I'm going with chains. He's having the same trouble as I am on this packing snow, it turns to ice as soon as you drive on it. My property has alot of ups and downs, some steep with creek crossings and the r4's have a hard time with any snow at all.

/ R4's and snow don't mix #9  
I live about 4 miles out of town in the country, and 2 years ago we had a 14" snow. I took my old tractor (TC29D) into town and cleared driveways that day, from morning until a couple hours after dark. I cleared a BUNCH of driveways. Maybe 100 or close to it. My tractor had R4's and I did not have a single problem. I guess it could depend on the consistency of the snow, wetness, etc,... but in my experience, the tractor did excellent. I even pulled a couple cars out of ditches. I love R4's.

/ R4's and snow don't mix #10  
We've had about 50" of snow so far this year. Some wet. Some dry.

Loaded R-4's and a weighted box-blade on the back have worked fine for me thus far (knock wood).

My drive has about a 20' change in vertical in about 200' of length (don't have the gumption to look up the formula to calculate grade...).

Using the loader with a 6' bucket, I plow both uphill and downhill. Does not seem to make much difference either way. I have found that I have to tap the steering brakes now and then to assist in steering when pushing a load. No big deal.