Snow Attachments snow blower in heavy snow

/ snow blower in heavy snow #1  

mike194

Silver Member
Tractor
AGCO ST30X
I have an old lorenz snowblower that i just rebuilt. it has a fairly large diameter fan probably around 25" or 26" and also has 4 blades. so i just finished it this morning and wanted to try it out but it was about 40 degrees out and the snow was heavy so I got the tractor up to 540 and backed into some snow and the snow just tricked out of the spout maybe went 3 feet. Is this just because the snow was heavy ? has anyone else tried to blow heavy snow and had the same results.

here is the blower

Attachments

• DSCF0340.JPG
    DSCF0340.JPG
    882.8 KB · Views: 1,591
   / snow blower in heavy snow #2  
Heavy snow is the hardest to handle, tends to clog the shute as it just wants to pack things up.
Generally in that heavy stuff I just make a small cut, like maybe 1/3 of the width for best results.
Also don't back in faster than the the blower can handle as you really can pack the slushy snow in there and then you'll need a crowbar to free it up.

You'll soon develop tacticts with practice.

/ snow blower in heavy snow #3  
Super job with the rebuild! Looks like you even painted it to match the tractor?? Nothing wrong with that.

/ snow blower in heavy snow #4  
Nice job!

Are you sure its not a 1000 rpm model? I have a push behind blower and nothing stay as close as you mentioned. I know we are not comparing apples with apples but 3 feet seem kind of odd... Then if it's the case and its normal, I may want to stick with my push behind and not invest in an over 2k unit... Hope not!

/ snow blower in heavy snow #5  
Wax the chute, fan housing and business side of the fan blades with paste car wax (turtle wax)

/ snow blower in heavy snow
I will try waxing the chute, i will probably not have a chance to use it until next year. I sure hope it throws dry snow at least 20 ft or so.

/ snow blower in heavy snow #7  
Nice Job!! Heavy/wet snow is by far the toughest to blow. It sticks on the chute, or will clog up. Not much you can really do about it. Just make sure the chute is smooth.

/ snow blower in heavy snow #9  
Was it heavy snow or slush?

/ snow blower in heavy snow #10  
Hmmmm...Dunno much about the Lorenz blowers, but the last "Blowable" snowfall we had was heavy wet-ish snow and while it took a ton of power (had to go slower) I didnt have any clogging or throwing problems with my Blizzard...

Did you check shear pins, keyways, etc? The Keyway on the fan might be sheared if there is a keyway...I've seen what you describe happen with a busted fan key.

Given the size of the blower this is a long shot, but is your snowblower designed for 540 RPM input? Some of the larger models are 1000 RPM models...Easy way to check is to make sure the fan turns 1 revolution to 1 revolution of the PTO shaft.