Snow Attachments Moving snow...

/ Moving snow... #11  
Why would anyone suggest to the OP spending 5-10 grand on a front mounted tractor snowblower for about 100' of snow removal? :rolleyes:.

Why not a big tracked walk behind snowthrower? It would still cost a lot less. With electric start, a plastic shield and rubber tracks, he may not have to do much more than walk and operate some hand controls, but I don't know if that's too much work for his condition.

IMO, he would do even better with a q/a front mount snow blade. Remember, the OP isn't at full strength and hooking up a snowblower is a lot more muscle work than a front blade.

/ Moving snow...
We all like to be as independent as we can, especially guys raised on farms like I was, but reality is sometimes different. Part of the reason I posted here is to do a bit of a reality check myself. There have been some days, and there will be more when any kind of major snow removal ( we get 3' storms sometimes) will look a lot like work. Fortunately, I do have a good neighbor that enjoys helping, and we have shared equipment sometimes. In fact he will be using my chipper set up this weekend. I have a walk behind Simplicity blower that I've used right along, and kind of have a love / hate relationship with the thing. I sure have enjoyed the loader for some of the wet, sloppy snow we get sometimes! I did look around a bit yesterday, and a complete front blower set up for my tractor was $4100, or so, a rear mounted one was closer to $2500 as was the front mounted set up for my big Simplicity garden tractor....... if I can find one. (I have the pre XL version, and the PTO is in a different place than the new ones, etc.)

I also priced a rear blade, and a larger loader bucket for snow, and light things, and as Builder suggested, they are a lot cheaper. I do have limited space to put the snow, and that is a factor too. Usually, even with the snowblower I have to knock down the banks by the road with my loader so I can see to get out of my drive. I can dump some of it across my narrow country road here, but not all of it, all winter.

/ Moving snow... #13  
I guess I'd have to side with the folks that say let someone else do it for this year...

Next year, when you're feeling better, you can decide on a front or rear mount blower.. And you WILL feel better!

Stay positive, and we'll be praying for your speedy recovery...

/ Moving snow... #14  
We all like to be as independent as we can, especially guys raised on farms like I was, but reality is sometimes different.

I know exactly what you mean....you describe me in detail with that statement...
What I'd do is get a rear blower...not "super expensive" and easy to use...another advantage of a rear blower is they sell easily because they arent "tied" to your particular machine if you decide down the road it isnt for you...
Snowblow your driveway yourself when you feel up to it, and call the neighbor to come use your tractor when your not. IMO probably much easier and I'd personally feel less bad having someone come use a nice tractor w/blower like you got...over a push type...

/ Moving snow... #15  
$4100. is not a bad price. I paid $ 3500. for a 50" B series front blower, that was 8 years ago.

/ Moving snow... #16  
I also priced a rear blade, and a larger loader bucket for snow, and light things, and as Builder suggested, they are a lot cheaper. I do have limited space to put the snow, and that is a factor too. Usually, even with the snowblower I have to knock down the banks by the road with my loader so I can see to get out of my drive. I can dump some of it across my narrow country road here, but not all of it, all winter.

You're nuts. I'm sure you know somebody that you can pay to plow - just do it. Worst case (if we get REALLY pounded), it'll cost you $300-400 for the whole season. Worry about slogging through snow and running big machines when you feel better. IMHO.

JayC

/ Moving snow... #17  
Hi there,

I know all to well how chemo makes you feel. I went through extensive chemo 18 years ago. Being on a tractor would not be how I would want to spend my time. I would highly encourage you to hire someone. If I lived close to you I would plow you out.
As a survivor to a future survivor. If I am not close enough to help you someone else here might be.

You will not be alone.

Jim

/ Moving snow... #19  
I agree w/front blower..easier on mid section...also waiting for clean up after storm...plus good set of tire chains.

Take it slow and easy..speedy recovery wishes to you Chuck.

/ Moving snow... #20  
I'm in the get someone else to do it this winter category -- I think you want to reduce the number of things in the have to do column and increase the number of things in the do when you want to column -- snow removal is one of the first htings I would give up -- someone else can clear out your lane overnight:p