Snow Attachments Moving snow...

/ Moving snow... #1  

ChuckinNH

Elite Member, R.I.P.
Tractor
(B2620, had BX22) Simplicity Legacy w/48" mmm
My driveway is very short ( 50', or so and 3/4 cars wide) but I have other walks, etc to clear, and a short 50 yd road to my shed. The problem is that I'm on chemotherapy, and will have to deal with snow sometimes when I'm not feeling so strong this winter to wrestle with my walk behind equipment. Though price is certainly a factor, I'm just looking for some general input on my choices. I have a Kubota B2620 that I can put a front, or rear mounted blower on, though it seems like a bit of overkill. I also have a 9 year old Simplicity Legacy garden tractor that I've thought about upgrading to something similar. (tractor is still good, but would like a bit larger deck, and the design has been changed so implements like different decks, and snowblowers are really difficult to find) I could get another Simplicity / JD X7XX series or Cub, or something that is a similar size with mower/ blower, and materials collection. The grass / leaf collection is very important too. I do like having the loader for wet, slushy / icy snow, and tough snow banks. How would you all spend my money? :D

/ Moving snow... #2  
Front blower will rock on that tractor! I hope you get well soon, cancer s***s and praying works!

/ Moving snow...
Well, things are what they are, and praying, and friends do help. My gut says you are probably right about the blower. :D

Last edited:
   / Moving snow... #4  
If you don't have a cab I'm not sure that an open station tractor with blower will be all that great either if you're recovering from a chemo session. I'd consider spending the money on someone else to do it when you're not up to it (if that's an option of course) or a truck plow if that's another option.

Good luck with whatever you decide and with your treatment.

/ Moving snow... #5  
Don't put the blower on the back, even healthy people HATE looking backwards all the time. I know I can't stand it.
Hope your treatment goes as good as possible,and you are back to yourself real soon.
I would consider to hire to have it done like others suggested. Then after you feel better, you can buy what really fits your permanent needs!

/ Moving snow... #6  
Don't put the blower on the back, even healthy people HATE looking backwards all the time.

I agree with the "No Cab & a Blower" setup....this winter I came down with a severe cold and of course while home sick it snowed wickedly so I HAD to go clean up...it wasnt too bad being in the cab & blowing snow. Neighbor couple houses down has an open station with a blower and depending on the wind, he ends up looking like Frosty the Snowman when he's done...

That being said, I couldnt honestly reccomend a front blower...heres my theory and practice...
I use my FEL mounted blade to perform cleanup around buildings, etc... I can backdrag snow away to the where I can get at it with the blower. Literally I only need to shovel my front steps.
I've grown up doing it that way, and it just plain old works nicely & quickly. when you have a cab, you do anything & everything so you can stay in it the most amount of time. :D

I cant for the life of me figure out why people "bad talk" rear blowers so much...you dont hear many people complaining about staring at their box blade all day long.....

/ Moving snow... #7  
I'm a big proponent of front blowers too. Yes, they can give you a face full without a cab. One thing you have in your favor is that you may be able use time to your advantage. Wait till the snowfall completely stops to do the driveway, or wait till the wind dies down some. I definitely think you'd be very impressed moving snow with a front blower on your tractor. Stay well Chuck !

/ Moving snow... #8  
Don't put the blower on the back, even healthy people HATE looking backwards all the time. I know I can't stand it.

4 years so far of New England winters and I don't mind it at all, the heated cab helps of course. With my wide suspension seat and HST rocker-style pedal, I can sit sideways on the seat so at most I am only looking to the side and not backwards at all. Plus I still have my FEL for scraping down to the dirt on the hilly part of my driveway and it was $1500 vs $3000+.

/ Moving snow... #9  
For no more drive than you have why not just a rear grader blade? That along with your FEL you can move a lot of snow. Its what I have used for 5 years in snows up to 2' deep and my drive is 4 cars wide and 280' long. I can clear it in 30 minutes when its really deep and 10 minutes on average. I now have a Meyers Snow Plow adapted to my FEL that will get its first work out this winter.

Chris

/ Moving snow... #10  
I have to agree with lungdoc let someone else do it while you concentrate on getting well, if possible.