Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Chains for Snow

/ Chains for Snow #31  
Most of the guys who've replied here with "no chains" have larger, heavier tractors. Your 770 weighs about the same as my 275 Kubota, and I wouldn't go through the winter without them. I just have a set of old truck "ladder" chains that I put on at first snow and take off in spring.

If you do get them, the best way I've found is to hook them up is on a flat (plowed) surface. I usually stretch them out and drive onto the center. Get them as tight as you can and drive forward about 20 feet; then stop and retighten. I also try to get the cross links across the top of the tire bars.

Hmm, I may have to try the bungie method though.

/ Chains for Snow #32  
I had a JD 790 with a fel and grader blade with a steep hot topped driveway. I could always plow down the hill and come back up where I had previously plowed. As far as I'm concerned a fel is useless for snow. It takes forever. Any ice and the JD would spin and I'd have to get off the driveway for some snow for traction. Chains a must for hottop and a slope.
I now have a BX 2200 with a hydraulic angle plow and chains. I haven't found any snow that a I can't move if I take small bites at a frozen drift.
I have a weight box and filled it with pea gravel. Plenty of weight and I can take it out and is doesn't become a frozen mess.
BX 2200 chains are around $100 and well worth it. The 790 was a lot more expensive because of the much larger wheel diameter. In Maine check Uncle Henry's and eventually you will find some used ones in your size or ads for new that will be as good a price as you'll find anywhere. Free advice is good as the amount you pay. I have asked questions on here when I had a problem and found solutions that saved me a lot of $$.

/ Chains for Snow #33  
As far as I'm concerned a fel is useless for snow. It takes forever.

Yes it does take longer, but it can get the job done. Also, it has another purpose, at least for me. In Colorado the snow usually melts off pretty quick from the Sun. But if we get too much that accumulates you can use the FEL to move the snow bak or out of the way so you can use a rear blade,plow or grader blade to move more snow off the drive. So my opinion is that though yes it is slower to initially clear snow you can plow with it to some degree and use it to move that snow or accumulated snow off out of the way.

/ Chains for Snow
Sounds like having a blade and a bucket is a good set-up. I'm going to go with that for this year.

Does the blade need to come off the tractor to change from push to pull, or does it swivel 360 degrees on the tractor.??

/ Chains for Snow #35  
Even with "4WD", you will need front weight in proportion to the rear weight or else your front wheel slippage can stop you cold. You can even make your own front suitcase weights right now out of high strength crack resistant concrete mix from Lowes or Home Depot. 4 of those 80 pounders produces a lot of grip. Your tractor should have a front weight bar there to use if you have the JD loader. Its part of the grill protector. To fix the bucket problem, you can rig up 2 sections of 2x10 standing at an angle off the bucket sides. You'll have to drill some bolt holes into the bucket sides to grasp the sideboards (oh my, I now have some holes in my shinny new bucket :( ). Set the stacked 2x10s at an angle and and you have a poor man's snowplow.

/ Chains for Snow #36  
Can you describe the drive on procedure a little more for me - sounds great. I'd presume back wheel up to near end of chain on ground, put bungee from close ends of chain through rim (??at closest point of rim to chain where it can be passed through?) then continue backing up until that part is around to ...?? (guessing the othe side almost back underneath).

Appreciate a better description as we struggled with this last year.

Lay the chains (spread out) behind each wheel, road facing side up (if ice chains). Attach the end of the chain to the tire by using a cord or rope through the rim (at closest point as you say). Drive FORWARD slowly and the chain will ride up and over the tire. I drive just until the attached part is directly under the tire and the end of the chain is just coming off the ground.

/ Chains for Snow #37  
Sounds like having a blade and a bucket is a good set-up. I'm going to go with that for this year.

Does the blade need to come off the tractor to change from push to pull, or does it swivel 360 degrees on the tractor.??

JD
the blade can stay in one position and depending on the direction you are going it is pull going forward and push going backward. for example if the blade is facing backward (best position to avoid digging to much into driveway when ground is soft) I can switch to dragging the digging face of the blade facing forward, going forward once the ground freezes. With frozen ground the bade will not dig in, it will scrap across the top. going forward is usually best direction to travel to protect the 3 pt. Don't get me wrong you can "push" going backward (if you are watchful and careful) but the 3pt is built to drag something and not as strong going backward

/ Chains for Snow
I bought a 6' CountyLine Blade today from TSC.

I have an area of soil where there once was about 13 cord of tree length firewood. The mulch and top soil is some really good stuff and by grading it with the blade I have gathered quite a sum of nice loam. And, I have been grading a nice 35' drainage path. 3pt hitch with a tractor is a powerful tool.

Spent about an hour and a half getting to know the blade and I like it, a lot. I am certain it will move the snow that is sure to come.

It takes time correcting all my mistakes:D.....

But ain't it fun.!!

/ Chains for Snow #39  
yes the whole thing is a learning experience. how to most effectively use your implements is a big part. Sounds like you are having fun, enjoy !

/ Chains for Snow #40  
. and if your on a slope you better have some chains and dont put them on the front only, VERY BAD.
QUOTE]

Why do you say it is bad to put tire chains on the front tires only? I've been plowing snow on my steep 1/4 mile gravel driveway for 11 years now with tire chains only on my front tires (R4 tires). It works great, and really aids steering when the going is slippery. I put them on in the fall and remove them in the spring. I made them myself from old truck chains.

Corm