Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Snow plowing with Tractor vs ATV

/ Snow plowing with Tractor vs ATV
If you get dumps like that very often you're in need of a blower!

Hey Lungdoc,

Don't even get me started.. I just got off of the couch over the Tractor!... I wonder how long the wife would make me sleep there for a blower???...

Phill

/ Snow plowing with Tractor vs ATV #12  
1) The tractor is MUCH better for larger amounts of snow like this. (3-4 feet)
2) The tractor is MUCH LESS forgiving to the landscaping and other obstacles. For example I "kissed" the street sign and bent it over a bit... (used the backside of the bucket to pull it upright again before anyone saw... hopefully)
3) Why push snow with a $5000.00 ATV when you can use a $20,000.00 Tractor... only makes sense...???? hehehe

Eh, I don't know. I've been using my ATV to plow for almost 10 years now. I was tempted to use my tractor when I got it, but I have to clear right next to my garage doors - I'm convinced that I'd eventually knock the house down by accident. My L4200 isn't all that forgiving when you misjudge.

JayC

/ Snow plowing with Tractor vs ATV #13  
Hey Lungdoc,

Don't even get me started.. I just got off of the couch over the Tractor!... I wonder how long the wife would make me sleep there for a blower???...

Phill

Well, at least something would still get blown :). A used rear blower is generally pretty affordable and, because they are universal, widely available.

/ Snow plowing with Tractor vs ATV #14  
ive always found anything more than a few inches tosses most 4-wheelers and their big baloon tires around too much

/ Snow plowing with Tractor vs ATV #15  
I spent one winter using the FEL to move snow. Figured it would do - in a pinch.

I moved to a front 7' Western plow. Usually 8-10 times in a winter get asked by the neighbor who has an ATV plow, to come down and move snow back out of the way for him. I don't mind, and he just gets envious of my plow. (grin).

Attachments

• plowpic.jpg
    plowpic.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 457
   / Snow plowing with Tractor vs ATV #16  
When you take one look at something like the setup that ,for instance, smfcpacfc has
you'll never want to get onto your ATV in a snowstorm, again.:cool:

/ Snow plowing with Tractor vs ATV #17  
Hey cowwface and bpattie---I live within 40-50 miles from either of you, we have NO snow-Jefferson Co. (OK 1/4") at 9800ft elevation

I began plowing with my atv, switched to a truck mounted plow, switched to a tractor/loader combo(M-F 2300), last year got a front mounted snowblower--best thing ever invented!!!

Just my .02

Ken

/ Snow plowing with Tractor vs ATV #18  
After years of fighting snow in northern Mich. I finally have a blower on the front of a tractor, so now it is fun. I have a good friend who has fried 2 clutches in his 4WD ATV plowing snow. I dont know if it is his technique or the stress of the snow. He is a pretty cautious operator as far as I have seen.
Bill

/ Snow plowing with Tractor vs ATV #19  
Hey cowwface and bpattie---I live within 40-50 miles from either of you, we have NO snow-Jefferson Co. (OK 1/4") at 9800ft elevation

I began plowing with my atv, switched to a truck mounted plow, switched to a tractor/loader combo(M-F 2300), last year got a front mounted snowblower--best thing ever invented!!!

Just my .02

Ken

I don't think there is any debate, least not from me that a plow is better and a blower is better yet. Just not sure that the few times I really could use it are worth the expense. Ken, glad to hear this one passed you by, used to fish out of Jefferson all the time, pretty area. I think this storm was mostly front range and mostly north of Palmer Divide.

/ Snow plowing with Tractor vs ATV
Well, at least something would still get blown :). A used rear blower is generally pretty affordable and, because they are universal, widely available.

Hehe... I don't get it?... bbwwwwaaahahahahaha!!!!!