Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Snow plowing with Tractor vs ATV

/ Snow plowing with Tractor vs ATV #1  

CowwFace

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SE HST, 401FEL, RB40-96 pivoting Rear Blade
Hey List,

Well I just wanted to post a quick note here about pushing snow with a tractor vs ATV. We have got about 3.5 feet of snow here in Conifer and this is my first year using my tractor to push it around the driveway and our road... about 1/4mile long. I've just been using the front end loader. I just push until I get to the end of the road. The snow seems to make it's own "V" plow for me after it gets pretty big. I'm amazed at how much snow I can push without the tractor boging down or spinning. With this much snow, the ATV would have been difficult because there is noplace to sideplow it to.. the edges are allready 3 feet high.

Overall my obversations:

1) The tractor is MUCH better for larger amounts of snow like this. (3-4 feet)
2) The tractor is MUCH LESS forgiving to the landscaping and other obstacles. For example I "kissed" the street sign and bent it over a bit... (used the backside of the bucket to pull it upright again before anyone saw... hopefully)
3) Why push snow with a $5000.00 ATV when you can use a $20,000.00 Tractor... only makes sense...???? hehehe

I'll post some pic's of the piles for you more southernly TBN'ers.

Carry on,
Phill

/ Snow plowing with Tractor vs ATV #2  
Glad to hear this as I am entering my first Maine winter with a tractor.

What size is your tractor.?? What tires.?? Chains.??

Hopefully, between the bucket and the blade and the tractor, I will be a happy camper.

How's the skiing out there.??

/ Snow plowing with Tractor vs ATV #3  
Can't wait for the pics having snow withdrawls here, but can wait a little while longer to get some more wood cut.

Are you just using the bucket or do you have a blade or snowblower also?

/ Snow plowing with Tractor vs ATV #4  
The tractor is MUCH LESS forgiving to the landscaping and other obstacles
That is true but I as well the tractor will be much less bent up and broken than the ATV will be by landscaping and obstacles:rolleyes:
My ATV plow has had a lot of repairs done to it and the spots where it mounts to the ATV have had a bit of "reinforcing" as well. I have not put the plow back on the atv in a couple of years now.

/ Snow plowing with Tractor vs ATV #5  
Hey List,

Well I just wanted to post a quick note here about pushing snow with a tractor vs ATV. We have got about 3.5 feet of snow here in Conifer and this is my first year using my tractor to push it around the driveway and our road... about 1/4mile long. I've just been using the front end loader. I just push until I get to the end of the road. The snow seems to make it's own "V" plow for me after it gets pretty big. I'm amazed at how much snow I can push without the tractor boging down or spinning. With this much snow, the ATV would have been difficult because there is noplace to sideplow it to.. the edges are allready 3 feet high.

Overall my obversations:

1) The tractor is MUCH better for larger amounts of snow like this. (3-4 feet)
2) The tractor is MUCH LESS forgiving to the landscaping and other obstacles. For example I "kissed" the street sign and bent it over a bit... (used the backside of the bucket to pull it upright again before anyone saw... hopefully)
3) Why push snow with a $5000.00 ATV when you can use a $20,000.00 Tractor... only makes sense...???? hehehe

I'll post some pic's of the piles for you more southernly TBN'ers.

Carry on,
Phill

Phil,

I live in Black Forest, just North of COlorado Springs, snowing like crazy here also, but not as much as you. Looks like the storm is stronger North of the Palmer Divide. haven't even thought about clearing snow yet, wind is so strong it will be blown back in before I could finish. Having used a tractor for snow now for about 20 years I would agree with your observations. The rear blade works fine for me up to about 9-10 inches. any more than that it would require more than one pass if using the blade. I have used the bucket as you mentioned several times on BIG snows especially if it is wet snow like Springs storms and had the same results as you. Though I usually push it off to the side a few times due to curves in Drive. supposed to stop sometime tonight so will either get out then or in AM. Anxious to see your pictures

/ Snow plowing with Tractor vs ATV
Glad to hear this as I am entering my first Maine winter with a tractor.

What size is your tractor.?? What tires.?? Chains.??

Hopefully, between the bucket and the blade and the tractor, I will be a happy camper.

How's the skiing out there.??

Hey JD,

If you can keep the street signs vertical, and the landscaping rocks in their "general" area I think you will like your tractor.

My tractor is 40hp Kioti DK40SE HST 4x4. I did fill the rear tires with RV antifreeze so that added about 800 lbs I think. No chains, and I have R1 Ag Tires.

One thing I've noticed even with only a few days of plowing: the sides of my front bucket are getting worn away.. does anyone know where to get a wear bar for a front bucket? My bucket has the holes on the front edge where I think I can mount one.

Phill

/ Snow plowing with Tractor vs ATV
Can't wait for the pics having snow withdrawls here, but can wait a little while longer to get some more wood cut.

Are you just using the bucket or do you have a blade or snowblower also?

Hey JD..Kid,

I'm just using the front bucket to push like a bulldozer. I've got my rear blade off presently because (with a bunch of help from my neighbor) I'm putting a tilt cylinder on the 3PH. I'm glad I filled my rear tires with the RV antifreeze, I've had not issues with spinning or lifting the snow. But the snow is not as heavy as the wetter spring snow.

Phill

/ Snow plowing with Tractor vs ATV #9  
HEY BUDDY I JUST BOUGHT A JOHN DEERE 4105 .AND IS ALSO MY FIRST YR IN BC WITH MY TRACTOR I HAVE A 2 1\2 ACRE DRIVEWAY GLAD TO HEAR MY UNIT MIGHT DO THE JOB THX FOR THE WRITE UP GAZOO1

/ Snow plowing with Tractor vs ATV #10  
One thing I've noticed even with only a few days of plowing: the sides of my front bucket are getting worn away.. does anyone know where to get a wear bar for a front bucket? My bucket has the holes on the front edge where I think I can mount one.

Phill

Phil,

it is not uncommon for the paint to wear away but you should not being causing any serious wear on the actually metal. I would assume that you have a wear plate on the front edge on the bottom, if not you could add one there. I suppose you could weld or bolt on a wear strip anywhere you want but unless you are doing a log of aggressive digging, wouldn't think you would need them on the sides of the bucket. my wear plates are on leading edge and go up the side maybe 3 inches.