Snow Attachments PVC Pipe On Snow Blade

/ PVC Pipe On Snow Blade #1  

bp fick

Tractor
John Deere X390
Had so many folks PM and ask how the PVC pipe worked out, thought I'd just post the results. Well here's the story.

Last summer, I read here about using PVC. I had a scrap of 1 1/2 Schedule 40 and ran it through my table saw. Wouldn't go on. Ran it through again, just side stepping the first cut by the width of the blade. Perfect. Beat it on with a sledge. Hey, it's just scrap. Got nothing to lose.

Plowed yesterday in my drive and neighbors. Each 125 ft gravel drives. Low, rather slow. Not a bit of a difficulty. It works wonders.

Today following 5 more inches, plowed both drives again. No problem.
Then the neighbor on the other side asked me to plow their private road. It is 1/4 mile. That's too long for low, so I plowed it in high. By about the third or fourth pass, I hit a rock or larger stone and that PVC shattered.

Moral of the story? Low and slow in your own drive? Probably last a month or even more. YMMV. Fast and hard? Not so much.

Got another piece, but of 3" scrap in the shop and will cut that tonight. 12" predicted for Wednesday night. Once the ground freezes up hard, which it will be by Thursday's forecast of 9 degrees, this will no longer matter.

/ PVC Pipe On Snow Blade #4  
I use a piece of ABS (the black stuff) and it seems to last a long time (two seasons on about 1/3 mile of gravel driveway. I cut the slot to be snug and pound it on with a rubber mallet. Not sure if it is better or worse than the PVC for wear and breakage

/ PVC Pipe On Snow Blade #5  
I have used the PVC for the past year even leveling gravel without snow. I use the 3" and one cut with the skil saw. It will usually slide on if opening the slit with a screwdriver. Normally it must be knocked off with a small sledge. I haven't used it at all on paved streets. Works great for me and very easy and inexpensive.

/ PVC Pipe On Snow Blade #6  
Clever idea.
Hope we hear more of the experiences out there, using this idea.
Wear would be my first concern. :)

/ PVC Pipe On Snow Blade #7  
What about some sch 40 or 20 steel slot and weld some tabs on almost unbrakeable?

tom

/ PVC Pipe On Snow Blade #8  
Good idea.
Wondering if round edge will dig in to remove high spots cause by tires packing the snow.

/ PVC Pipe On Snow Blade #9  
Good idea. However, I've found that asphalt driveways generally only need protection the first year. After that, they're quite hard and resist damage by the FEL or blade quite well.

Ralph

/ PVC Pipe On Snow Blade #10  
The black plastic will not shatter as easily as the white PVC, which seems to get real brittle when it gets cold.