Snow Attachments ABS Plastic Pipe Snow Blade Edge

/ ABS Plastic Pipe Snow Blade Edge #1  

bp fick

Tractor
John Deere X390
A number of threads here have traced the trials, successes and foibles of using a piece of PVC on a snow blade. Run it through the table saw, and bang it on. It sure works great over gravel, but easily shattered in cold weather.

Here's why:Quality Control

Some here have suggested ABS plastic as a much better alternative. Here's my photo, clicked on the run, of my newly installed ABS pipe.
What a difference!! It's 15 degrees colder today, mid-teens, and yet, no breaking. Very pleased.
(Although the paint is sure peeling on that blade!)

No doubt HDPE would be even better, but I just couldn't find any in town this morning.

/ ABS Plastic Pipe Snow Blade Edge #2  
So help me out...........the purpose?:confused: Is it better than the steel edge on a gravel driveway? If so what diameter ABS pipe did you use?

/ ABS Plastic Pipe Snow Blade Edge
Purpose- To skid, to prevent moving gravel, especially early in the year before the ground is frozen or in spring during thaws. And no, shoes are not the answer as they too gouge big time. The pipe is slick!! Many guys slit a steel pipe, but plastic is quick and easy.

Diameter. Some use 3". I prefer 1 1/2 inch. Although this particular piece of ABS I was lucky to get at all, and it is 2".

/ ABS Plastic Pipe Snow Blade Edge #4  
Just applied mine yesterday. Have to remember not to backdrag! ;). I used 3"

Attachments

• P1060206.jpg
    P1060206.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 4,332
   / ABS Plastic Pipe Snow Blade Edge #5  
Purpose- To skid, to prevent moving gravel, especially early in the year before the ground is frozen or in spring during thaws. And no, shoes are not the answer as they too gouge big time. The pipe is slick!! Many guys slit a steel pipe, but plastic is quick and easy.

I can speak to that! I tried yesterday using just the shoes on the blade and tore up the driveway pretty good. It's just not frozen yet and the shoes like to dig up the soft spots of the driveway. My next attempt will be applying 1 1/2" PVC Schedule 80 to the blade.

/ ABS Plastic Pipe Snow Blade Edge #6  

Diameter. Some use 3". I prefer 1 1/2 inch. Although this particular piece of ABS I was lucky to get at all, and it is 2".
Are you using 3" pipe?

Last edited:
Just applied mine yesterday. Have to remember not to backdrag! ;). I used 3"

Backdragging with a blade, which is upright and it stays right on. If you tilt that bucket, it might stay on? I don't know.

Gotta tell ya. The price of ABS is no more than PVC.

Once I had used up my scrap PVC, that was it. I went through 3 yesterday. Enough. I sure as heck wasn't going to buy any just to break it. Read that link above about properties of PVC versus ABS. It is a short read, but very insightful.

Just plowed 3 hours with that ABS and it doesn't have a mark on it. Go to admit, I am impressed.

/ ABS Plastic Pipe Snow Blade Edge #9  
OK, I've reviewed the recent posts and haven't seen an explanation. Forgive me if I missed it. I'm currently using schedule 40 and have shattered one piece in three Winters. Not too bad but quite inconvenient in the middle of a storm. I'd like to have an upgrade on stand-by. What is the difference between HDPE and schedule 80? I've called three plumbing supply houses and they seem clueless when I say "High Density Polyethyline" but admit that they have schedule 80. What is the difference?

/ ABS Plastic Pipe Snow Blade Edge #10  
After reading the threads about this yesterday, I went home last night and dug out the piece of 3" sch 80 electrical conduit I remembered I had in the top of the garage. Ran it thru the table saw and attempted to beat it onto my bucket. It did not want to go on so I determined I needed a larger gap. Found a 1/4" router bit, that was interested. I finally got it installed and should have taken a pic. The tension of the pipe should hold it on, given the beating it took to get it onto the bucket. Snow started falling here in Rochester NY this morning, can't wait till I get home to see home it works.