Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Best Snow Plowing Machine: Tractor, Quad, or Truck?

/ Best Snow Plowing Machine: Tractor, Quad, or Truck? #1  

Dusty1

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 410 LBH
Hey guys, so I have been reserching a bit on snow plows, and for argument's sake I would like to see who has tried the different methods? (note, I did not include dedicated snow blowers in this discussion, but feel free to add your input) So far in my reserch I have come up with a few pros/cons.

Tractor
Pros:​
  • Lots of torque and weight for traction, can plow through anything, can employ different methods and/or attachments to get the job done, will last a very long time.
Cons:​
  • Slow moving (comparitavely to other methods),expensive attachments, and not as common or easy to do jobs outside the home i.e. contracted out.

Truck
  • Fast, very mobile, easily contracted out, capable of handling a decent amount of snow
  • Large amount of wear/tear on machine (unless sizable or using a dedicated machine), only plows 1 way (no attachments like tractor).

4 wheeler
  • Very fast and a whole lot of fun to use, most cost effective, my wife might actually plow
  • Not capable of handeling much snow, no different attachments, would not be contracted out.

So what would you get? What do you own now? Do you wish you had somthing else? If you were to pick 1, what would it be? For argument's sake, let's assume you live in a region of moderate snow, already own a mid-sized tractor, standard 4wd truck, and a mid-sized 4x4 quad, and are looking to plow a decent sized driveway regularly, but are not opposed to the idea of plowing snow commmercially. I know there are exceptions to all these rules, and I know there are things I'm leaving out, but please, feel free to broaden my, and everyone else's horizions!:D

/ Best Snow Plowing Machine: Tractor, Quad, or Truck? #2  
Tractor works best for me.
I have a long drive and some turnarounds. Have a 7' Western plow that attaches to the tractor frame because the FEL is quick/easy to remove and the plow is quick/easy to mount. (don't have any use for a pickup and it would be less maneuverable). Also now have a wing plow which is priceless for moving the berms back from the edge of the road/drive.
I have no need or desire to go any distance to plow drives. I have the tractor for year-around chores so only natural to go with it. Has the power to handle all snow-falls.

Neighbor has a 4 wheeler, and for tough snows and for making more room for him to push snow, I do that with the tractor. Another neighbor has the truck plow. He is seriously interested in switching to a tractor. :D

Hope that helps your decision.

And I don't wish for anything else. :)

Attachments

• 100_1587 (Medium).JPG
    100_1587 (Medium).JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,901
   / Best Snow Plowing Machine: Tractor, Quad, or Truck? #3  
I have used a four wheeler to plow,still do for tight areas..they work pretty decent,I have had four wheel drive trucks for thirty-five years...never had a desire to put a plow on one;I use a front mounted eight foot curtis and a seven foot rear blade on my L4240....awesome rig..we average 130inches of snow per year..this year only 30 so far.I plow all the local drive ways and my woods road;total maybe two miles.

/ Best Snow Plowing Machine: Tractor, Quad, or Truck? #4  
I would positivly choose a tractor for my wants and needs.
With my loader mounted blade I can pile snow upwards of 13 feet. You not going to do that with a truck or an ATV.
I can easily swap betwen bucket and plow for various tasks and clean up.
I find the tractor far more manuverable and versatile than a truck and considerably faster then an ATV.
Other then my yard and my neighbors across the street. I have absolutly NO interest in contracting out to plow snow for anybody.

/ Best Snow Plowing Machine: Tractor, Quad, or Truck?
My neighbor plows the road with a tractor, and said one guy there used to have a 4 wheeler. He said it took 1/4 the amount of time it took him, just zipping up and down and said there was no substitute. I have no personal experience with this though.

/ Best Snow Plowing Machine: Tractor, Quad, or Truck?
+1 for tractor manuverability

/ Best Snow Plowing Machine: Tractor, Quad, or Truck? #7  
How about a dozer{now that will move anything} a tractor, a UTV and a small blower for walk way.

/ Best Snow Plowing Machine: Tractor, Quad, or Truck? #8  
What size tractor?:D That do make a big difference.:D

An articulated unit with angle plow, chains and wing can do a pretty good job at moving snow.

/ Best Snow Plowing Machine: Tractor, Quad, or Truck? #9  
I currently own all of the options.
4x4 truck curtis plow
jd 3520 with loader and 7' rear plow custom
honda 500 quad 4x4 with plow

each has their own benfits.

If you have the space to push the snow then the truck wins easily -- warmer,faster

if you dont have alot of space to push the snow then the tractor wins easily because of the snowblower/loader option and mobility vs truck.

the quad will move alot of snow but is best for realy tight areas and always cold.

I am from mid michigan formerly from the up of michigan and have been moving snow for 35 years

/ Best Snow Plowing Machine: Tractor, Quad, or Truck? #10  
Here you go:

VF3-4.jpg