Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Poor snow traction

/ Poor snow traction #1  

46willys

My old tractor is a 1967 gas IH606, The 606 is a 50 horsepower utility tractor. The tractor is equipped with a very heavy duty IH front end loader. The loader has four large rams and a large bucket.

I have driven several small tractors including a smaller IH from the same era. All the other tractors would push and pull snow without too much of an issue, however my current 606 is completely useless in the snow. It is not an exageration when I say that it will not go forward on flat ground in more than 10 inches of snow and if the snow is packed at all you can forget about it. I recently had goodyear come out to the house and fill both rear tires with fluid. The tractor also had wheel weights. The last time I tried to move snow with the tractor I but a 6 foot grader box on the rear three point hitch and placed several concrete blocks and large butt ends of logs on the box to add several hundred more pounds to the rear end and then attempted to push snow with the bucket. With the bucket on the ground and all the weight on the back the tractor is still worthless in snow. The tractor has a pretty wide set of taurus radial tires, the tires have several inches of tread but are much wider than other tires I have seen on small tractors.
I first thought the heavy front end loader was causing the lack of traction, however the two tons of fluid along with the loaded down box did not help that much. Could it be possible that I would be better off with a narrow tire that would eat through the snow better?

My wife came out today to watch me kick and scream at a tractor stuck in 8 inches of snow on flat ground and she told me to just sell the thing, however it is about the best tractor I could ask for in terms of moving dirt and gravel and doing small food plots when the snow is off. I can pull hundreds of pounds of dirt with a 7 foot box all summer long. Just weeks before the snow came I was pulling 20 foot logs two at a time across wet fields.
So my question is, is there anyway to not only improve the tractors traction in the snow but to improve so much that I could actually clear my 700 foot long drive? If this tractor is a lost cause should I be in the market for a front wheel assist? I know the last time I got my IH stuck in snow I was pulled up my drive by an old Oliver with slick baloon tires that was not four wheel drive. Is there a way to tell if a two wheel drive tractor is going to be capable of clearing snow before purchase with out wating for winter?
Would it be worth the effort to remove the bucket from the tractor and see if that improves the traction, it is not too big of a job to move the bucket and I would rather do that every winter/summer instead of spending thousands more a bigger better tractor, I have too much money into this tractor as it is and could not even expect to break even at this point. (New hydro pumps, Tire Fluid, and Hydro lines add up quickly)

Also what tire pressure would you suggest for radial tires in the snow?

Thanks in advance

/ Poor snow traction #4  
I am amazed at your experience. Im thinking you need a LOT more counterweight ... that would be behind the rears, so that you unweight the fronts some. I think they are being driven all the way down to the ground by the overhung front load, and since they arent driven this is a big drag for your big "floating" rears to push thru dense snow. Counterweight is what I think will do it.... Drive the rears down while unweighting the fronts.
As for pressure... put the tractor on a flat surface with loader up and adjust rears so 2 bars touch to the edge on each side. Im guessing with big tires it will be 10 psi or less. These are Ags [R1] right, not industrials [R4]??
larry

/ Poor snow traction
Tires are 480/70/R28 AG tires.

My uncle has a 7ft cast Iron ROTO TIll that is from back in the 60's, It is a heavy cast machine that really puts stress on the 3pt, I use it to get the garden started every spring, It squats the rear tires a bit and I may try and borrow that just for the counter weight, I will have to wait for the snow to melt to go get it though so kinda pointless now.

/ Poor snow traction #6  
I would start by adding about 6 or 700 pounds of weight off the back of the tractor.

I live in Maine and it is my opinion that any vehichle on the road should be 4x4 November 15th through April 15th.

Dealing with snow and ice 4x4 is a necessity, period.

/ Poor snow traction #7  
46willys,
I share your dilemma. I have a Case 580CK Construction King tractor. It is the very first of the 580 series of construction tractors that Case made with a manual geared transmission. The engine is a 4 cylinder gas motor. Unlike most 580s which have a backhoe, mine has a 3-point and PTO. The loader being an industrial/construction type is very heavy up front. I have fluid in the tires, several sets of wheel weights, and an International Harvester industrial rear blade. Hanging on the rear blade is around 250+ pounds of heavy 1/2" tow chains, as well as a bracket that is bolted onto the rear of the blade. On the rear bracket are 6-44lb small Deere garden tractor suitcase weights.

It now works fairly well in the snow in Southern Wisconsin. I like the fact that it is gas as it fires right up at below zero conditions. I sometimes think that a little more weight wouldn't hurt, as I am considering adding 2 more wheel weights. I am now much closer to what the tractor would be with a backhoe in back.

A little bit of wheel spin is always good. In my case, it saves on the clutch and drive line. A tractor should never completely "Hook Up" under a high load condition. Due to some of the areas I go, chains would not be an option due to surface damage.

When I do get stuck, (usually due to icy conditions), I simply use the loader by lowering and rolling the bucket to shove the tractor backwards. I have enough hours on it to know ahead of time how to approach certain areas so as not to get stuck.

The bottom line, add more weight and or chains if your situation permits.

/ Poor snow traction #8  
Skinny Ag's will get it done. Just like the difference between a dually and a single rear wheel F-350 The SRW truck will go through much more snow and makes a better plow truck. I know guys around here with dually's that take off the outer set in the winter for pushing snow. Looks funny but works.

Chris