Snow Attachments Snow: Rear Blade vs Hydraulic Front Blade

/ Snow: Rear Blade vs Hydraulic Front Blade #11  
Yep, same here about using a front blade, but I am thinking about getting a Frontier 64" Rear blower to supplement my front blade for the big snows. I would go larger but it seems for my unit this is as big as I should go.

/ Snow: Rear Blade vs Hydraulic Front Blade #12  
I suppose for the ultimate in snow removal, a front blade coupled with a rear snowblower would be hard to beat. Still, I've been quite happy with the job the FEL and rear blade (Woods RB60) do and would hate to give up either. 90% of the snowfall here can be cleaned up quickly using the RB. Plus the RB doesn't dig up the gravel drives I clear when I push with convex side forward. On those occasions when the RB isn't enough, the FEL makes up the difference.

The rear blade is useful year-round and, when it's not working, I have no qualms about letting it sit outside under a tree. I wouldn't feel good doing that with a much more expensive front blade and my indoor storage is currently packed.

I used to have a snow blower for a little JD210 I owned for awhile. Originally the plan was to buy a blower for the B7610. But then I remembered how much I disliked continuously stepping over the JD's blower all spring & summer when it wasn't doing anything and how I hated giving it indoor storage space. It's another item I wouldn't want to leave outdoors. Plus blowers are kinda slow compared to the blade, especially when there's only an inch or two of snow to clean up.

All-in-all, I'm quite happy with the RB. It's my most used attachment. It may be second-string for snow removal, but it's sure as heck good enough. No front-blade envy from this quarter.
Bob

/ Snow: Rear Blade vs Hydraulic Front Blade #13  
After our December snow dumps I dug out my old blower and made those mods I've been putting off for the past 5yrs (while I used the back blade). Installed the blower early January and haven't had a decent dump of snow since. I sure miss the trailer hitch on the back blade though.....I suggested to my wife that I remove the blower so I could move some trailers around. She threatened to shoot me....

/ Snow: Rear Blade vs Hydraulic Front Blade #14  
I have a front frame mounted 7' power angle plow and a 7' rear blade. Both serve me well, the rear blade is useful for pulling snow away from doors and from blind parking spots. I only remove the rear blade to hook up the 6' rear mounted blower to clear back the banks when necessary. That could happen tomorrow if it looks like next week's storm will be snow.

/ Snow: Rear Blade vs Hydraulic Front Blade #15  
A rear blade cant be beat in situations were all you need is universal implement. A back blade is all I use on my superdexta in the winter most of the time. The trick to it is just not taking to much material at once.

The best way I have found to combat heavy snows when all you have is a back blade is to turn the blade all the way around and take the snow off at a 45 degree angle One blade width at a time.

This way if you cannot back up any further you still have an out to go forward over the freshly plowed surface you just did

/ Snow: Rear Blade vs Hydraulic Front Blade #16  
I think part of the problem is the height of the moldboard on a RB, Most are 12-14". I find they really need to be 18-19" to move snow.

Good point. Ordinarily, in Southern Indiana, that 12inch or so moldboard will do it, but this year, snow has been heavy and the 18 inch moldboard would be much better. When I bought my Kubota 4330, I bought a Woods rear blade with the taller mold board. It had a lower link hitch setup that would fit either a Cat 1 or 2 3PH. Turns out it was too big for the 4330, in my opinion, because those lower implement hitch pins were so high off the ground that by the time the 4330 lower links were attached, there wasn't much travel left to lift the blade very much higher. Yeah, I could always shorten the top link to get extra lift but with the blade's tilt adjustment pin out of plumb, every time you tilt the blade left or right, you have to relevel it. Luckily, the dealer took it back. Just a caution to someone with a CUT looking for a tall back blade, since this Kubota L4330 is toward the large end of the CUT size.

John

/ Snow: Rear Blade vs Hydraulic Front Blade #17  
Approximately how much would it cost for the front blade, mount and hydraulics attached to the front loader (removing the bucket, of course)? Doesn't have to be new...a used setup would be okay, too.

I figure if I spent a couple thousand on that kind of setup; it wouldn't snow for five years!!!

/ Snow: Rear Blade vs Hydraulic Front Blade
For a BX, I can tell you. For a different tractor, someone else more knowledgeable would have to respond.

Full set up? Top O the line blade, QH subframe assembly cost $2100 plus tax at Kubota. If you are fortunate, you can get the salesman to let you have it for around $1800.

Used? Rare as hen's teeth, but have seen them for $1300-$1700 in newer condition. Local demand and blade condition are the variables. It also depends on whether a big snow storm is forecast. They are generally sold with hours. Ask me how I know. :D

Last edited:
   / Snow: Rear Blade vs Hydraulic Front Blade #19  
For a BX, I can tell you. For a different tractor, someone else more knowledgeable would have to respond.

Full set up? Top O the line blade, QH subframe assemble cost $2100 plus tax at Kubota. If you are fortunate, you can get the salesman to let you have it for around $1800.

Used? Rare as hen's teeth, but have seen them for $1300-$1700 in newer condition. Local demand and blade condition are the variables. It also depends on whether a big snow storm is forecast. They are generally sold with hours. Ask me how I know. :D

New Holland TN65 FWD here. I presume the cost would be about the same that you quoted.

Thank you, BP, for the info. Like I said, if I bought the setup...it wouldn't snow for 5 years here in central Pa.

/ Snow: Rear Blade vs Hydraulic Front Blade #20  
Approximately how much would it cost for the front blade, mount and hydraulics attached to the front loader (removing the bucket, of course)? Doesn't have to be new...a used setup would be okay, too.

I figure if I spent a couple thousand on that kind of setup; it wouldn't snow for five years!!!

I have about $1200 in my 6' JD front blade with Fasse valve setup. After about 20 yrs of pushing snow backwards with a BB, having a front blade is like a God send!!! Wish I could have done this years ago.