Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Compact tractor for snow removal

/ Compact tractor for snow removal #11  
around here we really get some deep snows, i have been able to handel it all with a fel and rear blade, course my drive is only 100ft and concret, don't really know how much snow nor how often u get hit. but if it is alot, i would think u might want a front blower, but darn i would hate giving up the fel. or u could go rear blower(if u don't mind driving backwards) and keep the fell on for lighter snows. really a tough call.

/ Compact tractor for snow removal #12  
I'm surprised at all the comments about rocks. I've cleared my driveway with a blower for more than 10 years, and don't think I've had more than one or two cases of a rock being a problem (I have a dirt/gravel driveway and frequently watch/hear stones go out the chute). I do have problems with chunks of firewood, sticks, really wet snow, ice balls, etc breaking shear pins. Since I customized the shear pin setup, I can change them in about 5 minutes. I probably use a set every other week on average.

We get ~300+" of snow per year (pretty much more than anywhere in the US outside of few places in the Rockies or Alaska). I've used a 5' blower, and, now that I've moved to an L4610, am hoping to move to a 6' or even a 7' blower to speed driveway cleaning operations.

I'm going to play with the FEL this winter (never had one before, though I've used for snowmoving on other people's rigs). I like the looks of the plow arrangments I've seen here on TBN. I've also been thinking about using a remote hydraulic drive to put a blower on the FEL frame. I look forward to using the FEL around the woodpile, though /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.

-Chris

/ Compact tractor for snow removal #13  
I would look into a front plow,for you would cut your snow removel time more than half on those cold days.

I adpated a single pin plow setup to the bucket,and now I'm able to push the snow back higher and further w/B7100 /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif...there a post on 12/24/01 at 12:24pm for an idea or two.

Little advice when plowing..keep those banks push back in case we have another winter like 2001 /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

/ Compact tractor for snow removal #14  
Grande

Before I get started... I'm from North Central Vermont on the west side of Jay Peak. Last year the mountain got 385" of snowfall. The previous year they got 571". They average at least 300" every year. Myself and my father run a plowing business. He has been plowing professionally since the late 60's when he moved here. I've been plowing professionally for 15 years and plowing our driveway at home ever since I could reach the pedals on the trucks. When it comes to trucks and plowing I can help you out quite a bit. But this isn't the case so I'll share my thoughts and opinions about plowing in general adding my 150 hrs of tractor snow removal.

I have a few questions:

How long is you drive? You mention several hundred yards so 2, 3, 4, 5 hundred.

How narrow is narrow? Basically how narrow is you narrowest point and how wide is you wides point.

Do you have any ditches? On both sides, from to to bottom.

How hilly is hilly? Very steep, or just rolling. Do you have to have your drive sanded when it is to steep.

What is the exposure? Southern, northern.

Is it shaded? In the woods or open.

Do you get a lot of wind? A very big factor, just ask alan40.

Before going any further let me tell you there is not machine or attachment that can do it all. It's a compromize.

We would use tractor's more for our snow removal service but we service a 15 mile radius. It takes to long to get from point a to point b.

With some more info yuo might be able to make a better choice on your snow removal equipment?

Where abouts in southern VT are you? My in-laws have a house in Mount Holly.

/ Compact tractor for snow removal #15  
Good morning Derek.

You should forward some of your winter plowing photos /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif in which you share w/us over the last couple of years,this way the gentleman might have a good idea what he might be facing.

/ Compact tractor for snow removal #16  
Hi Russ

I think it is an older Kabota setup that attaches to the loader arms with the bucket removed. I can't get any more specific as the owners are out of the country and I won't see them till spring.

Brad in NH

/ Compact tractor for snow removal #17  
<font color=blue>"Little advice when plowing..keep those banks push back in case we have another winter like 2001"</font color=blue>

If WE have another winter like the last I won't need to even mount my plow on the truck. It was the mildest winter in my nearly half century in NE Indiana. The one snow we had that would have required me to move snow at work started on a Saturday at Noon. I'm closed Sunday and by Monday the only snow you could see anywhere was where people had plowed and pushed it into piles. Everything else had melted away.

It was a really odd winter. I'm not counting on another one like it this year. Since I don't have a cab or even a canopy on my 4200, most of my snow removal "seat time" will be in my old Ford F-450 with the 8' Western blade and a heated cab. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Compact tractor for snow removal #18  
For what it's worth, I've tried 3 methods and I'm staying with my blower.
I have a 300ft gravel driveway, in a windswept exposed area. I also do my neighbours' drives of varying types and sizes.

Started plowing with a front blade. Works great for less than 6" snow, BUT you end up with banks and a narrowing driveway. One good blow, and those banks become snowfence, and the driveway fills in with snow to the level of the bank tops and you now have 2-3' of snow to clear even though only 2" came down! More than 6" of heavy snow tasked the traction of my turf tires (2wd)

Got a new 4wd tractor with a loader (blade doesn't fit). Had some advantages, and some disadvantages as well. Clearing the length of the driveway was a lot harder. Essentially you go forward until the bucket fills, then turn and dump. Sometimes this is 50', sometimes only 3'. No banks created, but big piles instead. Clearing the turn around and parking areas was a lot easier, as the snow didn't keep sliding off the end of the blade so you don't move the same snow over and over. Biggest problem was sticky snow would fill the bucket, requiring a shovel to clean it out.

Got a 5' 3pt snowblower. Way better!
With the snowblower the snow is evenly distributed over about 20' of yard downwind of the driveway, there are no banks to speak of, and the wind now keeps my drive clear, instead of filling it in. Some gravel gets distributed as well, but a pair of 3"x1/4"x10" 'skis' welded to the existing feet fixed that quick enough. Now I always leave about 1/4" of snow behind, but that just packs down and creates a base anyway. Less than 3" of snow - leave it. More than 3" of snow and I blow it. I leave the FEL on and use it for cleaning up around the house and vehicles, for the banks at the end of the drive and other spots.
Downside- I still have to pick some rocks off the lawn each spring, and I sometimes end up snowy, but I can clear my drive and 4 others, and still be back inside in 45mins. I think the blower works best for me.

As an aside, if you are in an exposed location, the best thing you can do is ensure your driveway sits about 1 foot higher than the surrounding lawn. Then the wind will keep it clear for you, and you can stay inside.

Big Eddy

/ Compact tractor for snow removal
Rowski,

My answers are vague 'cause conditions and terrain are diverse.

I'd say we've aprox. 300yds.
Width is 10 feet with a few spots a little wider (to 15).
A few spots have ditches, much is closely lined with fence, some is level along field.

Most is level or gently sloping but one section is VERY steep (about 100'), shaded and needs sanding to even walk on it.

Exposure is NW, half shaded, half open.

Hiltop with much wind.

Dummerston/Brattleboro, VT.

Waddaya think?

This L3010 does not have an easily removed/replaced bucket (the loader of course is). As many say, the bucket is a handy tool in the winter. However, everyone I know locally rave about front mounted blowers.

Grande

/ Compact tractor for snow removal #20  
I don't have as long of a driveway as you do, and I don't get as much snow as you. But I have tried all different ways to keep the drive clear. I now have a paved drive and what a joy it is to clear now. No more weeks of raking stones come spring time! I also got a 5' rear blower last year (only got to use it a few times, but works great) so I won't have to deal with the banks that fill in every time the wind blows. I also clear off a 90' x 145' ice rink, was using a 8' rear blade and loader. Biggest problem was where to put all the snow! would spend alot of time pushing the banks back. And if I didn't push them back far enough the first time I was in trouble. Been there and done that!/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif Now with the blower I won't have that problem. The blower is alittle bit slower, but it will make up for it in the long run when I don't have banks to deal with. The photo attached was from the winter of 2000, when it seemed to snow every day! I had to plow the banks back 20' to both sides of the driveway, so as to not allow it to get too narrow.

Attachments

• 47-192988-views.jpg
    47-192988-views.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 457