Snow Attachments Looking at Buying Frontier Loader-Mounted Snow Blower

/ Looking at Buying Frontier Loader-Mounted Snow Blower #1  

deere4320

Silver Member
Tractor
2008 Deere 4320 eHydro w/400X FEL and Unloaded R4's
Hi All,
I found a used Frontier Loader Mounted snow blower with a Hydraulic Power Pack. It was used for residential work and in good shape. I don't know much about it.....does anybody know any pros/cons vs. a rear mounted or front mounted! :confused:

/ Looking at Buying Frontier Loader-Mounted Snow Blower #2  
   / Looking at Buying Frontier Loader-Mounted Snow Blower #3  
Hi All,
I found a used Frontier Loader Mounted snow blower with a Hydraulic Power Pack. It was used for residential work and in good shape. I don't know much about it.....does anybody know any pros/cons vs. a rear mounted or front mounted! :confused:

==================================================

If the bearings are tight and the hydraulics are intact as far as the hydraulic motor for the impeller/ fan and the auger drive do not leak I would buy it if you want to have one. The rear reservior has the pump out side the tank with the suction line or flange connected to the tank and pressure lines routed to the front loader with the separate detented motor valve-sorry its been a while.

The rear reservoir adds more oil for the implement and the required volume.

The amount of heat loss/net useable power for the use of fluid power is the issue for the blower as well as its smaller size.

Any rear mounted 540 rpm blower is just that and powered by the PTO with little power loss.

The chute and spout are operated remotely on many models.

Its no secret that I like Pronovost Snow blowers as they will outlast a tractor because they are built so well for canadian winters.

The hydraulic spout control is a must for taller tractors or cab tractors with dual remotes

The Pronovost Puma models have dual hydraulics as standard equipment on the larger models and offered as an option on all the smaller Puma snow blowers.

leonz

/ Looking at Buying Frontier Loader-Mounted Snow Blower #5  
Whats a realistic rough percentage of power loss by using hydraulic drive VS direct PTO drive?

/ Looking at Buying Frontier Loader-Mounted Snow Blower #6  
Snowblowing generally does not soak up a huge amount of power so the efficiency hit of a wet kit is tolerable - there should be plenty of power left to do the job. Besides, you can always slow down or take a narrower bite if the snow load is unusually heavy. Other things that affect it are hydraulic line size - bigger is better, oil type being used - viscosity is less temperature-dependant with synthetic fluid. On the coldest days, running it a bit with no load will warm the oil a little and performance will be better.

Front blowers are very nice to use - especially for long driveways. On mid-to-larger tractors without mid pto, the drive options for front-mounted blowers are either shaft drive (see Erskine pic) or hydraulic from the rear pto, using a wet kit.

Attachments

• rearsuport.jpeg
    rearsuport.jpeg
    45.8 KB · Views: 891
   / Looking at Buying Frontier Loader-Mounted Snow Blower #7  
Whats a realistic rough percentage of power loss by using hydraulic drive VS direct PTO drive?

The major considerations are:

1. a. Oil volume of tractor if tractor reservoir is used and the tractors useable
total horsepower for hydraulic system.
The tractors hydraulic piping is the major limiting factor as only so
much oil can be delivered and returned to tank to be reused per minute.
and you cannot use a hydraulic motor that requires more oil per minute
than the system can provide without causing component failure from
cavitation.

b. The tractors oil volume and pressure must be capable of the required
flow the hydraulic driven snow blower to operate at speed and snow
disposal volume as claimed by the manufacturer of the appliance.

c. Total useable width of hydraulic drive snow blower (hydraulic drive
impeller with chain drive and open auger for 2 stage unit or closed auger
for a single stage unit it can be wider than wheel set but much slower at work.

2. A tractor with an independent hydraulic sytem and reservoir:

a. limited to hydraulic motors that are capable of recieving the rated flow and pressure at
540 or 1,000 rpm (pumps and motors are tested at 100 psi at 1200 rpm to obtain base
flow measurements only)

pump type
motor type

Gear pumps are the most common and are limited to the hydraulic circuits designed
flow at 1000 or 540 rpm

Geroller motors for the impellers are small and have high speed, a wide power range,
and high torque.

b. PTO powered external pump with quick coupler hydraulic hoses for close by implements
rated for that size of implement.

c. If hydraulic appliance has smaller ports than the hydraulic pressure and return hoses
that is a big problem and a no no because of heat build up pressure surges.

d. The same issues occur with quick couplers due to heat build up.

e. the location of the relief valve if there is one-it HAS TO BE on the pressure side of the
valve controlling the implement where the relief valve is Tee'd back to tank before the
oil enters the valve body and then to the implement.

f. blown motor seals, hoses, or blown pump- you may have a blown motor seal and not
know it until the hydraulics stop working and you see oil in back of the tractor.

3. A rear mounted PTO powered snow blower:

a. PTO shaft with spring slip clutch-ideal installation.

b. The snow blower is recieving the full PTO horsepower at the rated operating speed
required by the implement.

c. Uses the limited hydraulic power available to operate the spout and chute or they are
moved manually by cranks to rotate the spout and locking knobs for the spout tilt angle.

d. Less affected by shock loading from compacted snow and ice due to chain drive and
shear pins on auger and impeller.

e. reverse operation-but going slow allows you to throw the snow far away the first time
and with no build ups.

f. Less affected by wet sloppy snow at all times as full PTO horse power is delivered at all
times.

Like I said I think Pronovost is a better snow blower and they also offer loader mounted hydraulic unit as well.

If you intend on buying it be sure to verify the hoses and quick couplers are sized for the hydraulic ports on the snow blower attachment, and ask where the relief valve is for the independent hydraulic pump and reservoir if you do not see a third hose or relief cartridge in the valve body that controls the snow blower and ask to remove the cover over the pumps suction strainer to see how much crap is in the tank before money changes hands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(otherwise walk away)

leonz

Last edited:
   / Looking at Buying Frontier Loader-Mounted Snow Blower #8  
Because it is a complete unit (not custom fabricated), I'd expect that the Frontier (Deere) engineers would have the pump size, hose size, oil volume, and snowblower all sized appropriately to do the job of blowing snow.

Leonz raises good points that go into the equation, and suspect he is real sold on the Pronovost (something tells me :D).

/ Looking at Buying Frontier Loader-Mounted Snow Blower #9  
Hi All,

It's a piece of junk!
You shouldn't even think about buying it.
What's the sellers name, address, phone number; I'll save you from making such a mistake! :laughing:

Vince

/ Looking at Buying Frontier Loader-Mounted Snow Blower #10  
I appreciate the compliment, I dont want to see anyone with problematic machinery or getting injured from hydraulic oil.

Candidly I dont think he really wants to have to buy a spare pump and motor and have it on hand either for a seasonal use machine where with a Pronovost rear blower he would not have to do that.:(

The problem with the open auger design is that it is a compromise between handling and efficiency where the screw impeller PTO snow blower totally bypasses the issue at a much higher cost for heavy snow and ice build ups.

The open auger allows semi regulated feed rates with relation to the prime movers forward or rearward speed

I want to buy the right tool the first time and not have to worry about it ever again.

leonz:thumbsup: