Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Pictures of your snow weapons

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #1,271  
I've been waiting for some snow to get a photo of my snow removal equipment, but no luck. So here's a youtube of my snowblower last winter. This rig (Unimog 404) is 50 years old, but new to me last winter. Needless to say, I enjoy playing and/or working in snow. Or is there really a difference? Unimog 404 Beilhack HS230 snowblower - YouTube

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #1,272  
It is not much but it is paid for!!!! LOL Spent the past few days (week) installing the snowblower chute rotator and deflector along with the control switches. It seems to be working fine now all I need is some snow to check it out in..

Attachments

• IMG_5378.JPG
    IMG_5378.JPG
    988.8 KB · Views: 449
  • IMG_5377.jpg
    IMG_5377.jpg
    990.7 KB · Views: 543
  • IMG_5381.JPG
    IMG_5381.JPG
    849 KB · Views: 428
   / Pictures of your snow weapons #1,273  
I just reworked my chute rotator winch motor set up. I also added deflector control but it is too fast. Can you just add a resistor in series with a winch motor to slow it down?

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #1,274  
I just reworked my chute rotator winch motor set up. I also added deflector control but it is too fast. Can you just add a resistor in series with a winch motor to slow it down?

Theoretically yes, but you are going to have a hard time finding a resistor rated for that wattage. I use a 50W resistor on the blower for my 2-row air planter to drop the fan speed for very small sugar beet seeds. That resistor required a 3x4x.5 piece of aluminum for a heatsink. I'm guessing your winch will pull at least 200-250 watts no-load. Resistors for that rating are made, but I'm guessing they'll cost more than your winch did.

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #1,275  
It is not much but it is paid for!!!! LOL .

I know dozens of guys who would kill for that machine. It looks like its ready to tackle anything Mother Nature can throw at it. Nice job on the chute as well :thumbsup:

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #1,276  
Thanks for the comment. It is an 02 B-7500 with around 600 hrs on it. Still runs strong and does a good job all 4 seasons.

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #1,277  
It is not much but it is paid for!!!! LOL Spent the past few days (week) installing the snowblower chute rotator and deflector along with the control switches. It seems to be working fine now all I need is some snow to check it out in..

Looks great to me! Nice job on the rotator and chute deflector. What motor did you use for the rotator?

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #1,278  
Duroc,

I bought the motor from Wondermotor and it cost 59.95. Shipping was really quick.

brush_gearmotor
Amazon sells the same motor: Wondermotor 12V DC Reversible Electric Gear Motor 50 RPM: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

It is a geared motor and has plenty of power to turn the chute. You can find the motor on Ebay from time to time for the same price.

The only hangup with the motor is that it had a 10 mm shaft and the bolts required to mount the motor are also 10 mm (not included). I ended up using a section of the pipe that came with the snowblower (this was smaller part of the manual rotator shaft) and it slide over the 10 mm shaft and then drilled a small hole through the tube and the flat of the shaft. Only thing I had that would fit into the hole was a finish nail so that is what's holding it together right now. It is a very snug fit and if I wanted to change it out I would have to pound it out. I will have to remember to free it up before using this winter.

It is a geared motor and has plenty of power to turn the chute. You can also find the motor on Ebay for the same price.

I ordered the switches from Del City and they were $4.45 each and again the shipping was really quick. That was the cheapest I could fine these switches. This type of switch is meant to snap into the cover material (mainly thin metal or plastic) and I am using a electrical terminal box which has thick plastic cover so I had to epoxy them into the hole. Also cutting the hole out was not fun LOL.

Power Window Switch

The linear actuator is one I had around and it is a 24 vdc model with 4" of travel. This works fine for this application, but a 12 vdc one would be a bit faster (twice as fast). I extended the actuator all the way out and picked the spot on the chute deflector and drilled the first hole, then I positioned the actuator and marked the hole for the bottom of the actuator. The local hardware store these expanding pipe blocks that I used to stand off the actuator.

To connect the 12 vdc power I had some connectors around from a past project that worked just fine. you can find them here: 15 Amp Unassembled Red/Black Anderson Powerpole Sets

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #1,280  
Wayne,

Thanks for the info on your build! I started out with a car window motor, but I'm not happy with it. The motor has enough power to rotate the chute, but it doesn't run that "true" - which means the life-span (of something) is going to be short. I think I'll look into using the motor you used as I'd rather build it once and forget about it. Thanks again for the info! Think snow!! :)

Update:

I ordered the motor today (Tuesday) and it has already shipped out. Now if the weather will continue to stay warm, I'll get it mounted.

Last edited: