Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Pictures of your snow weapons

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #2,301  
problem with my experience plowing from front, when you angle the blade, it pushes the tractor in opposite direction. i had to use chains.

Yes - I am sure I will have some issues mid winter when there is compaction / ice. Questions for the masses - I am a novice when it comes to chains and was shocked to find so many different designs and prices - could someone direct me as to which ones are better than others (in the way of design) as well as which offer a good return (ie value)?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #2,302  
Yes - I am sure I will have some issues mid winter when there is compaction / ice. Questions for the masses - I am a novice when it comes to chains and was shocked to find so many different designs and prices - could someone direct me as to which ones are better than others (in the way of design) as well as which offer a good return (ie value)?

I just went with simple and not real pricey 4 link ladder chains front and rear and they work fine

Attachments

• HPIM1279.JPG
    HPIM1279.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 269
   / Pictures of your snow weapons #2,303  

Choice of chains depends on the surface you intend to drive on...as well as if you expect more snow or ice.
If the areas you intend to clear are asphalt or concrete, 2 or 4 link ladder types would be well with minimal damage to the asphalt (or concrete).
4 link ladders have a bumpier ride but are quite a bit less expensive and weigh less.
If the surface is gavel or dirt...pretty much any type of chain will work.

I have 4 link ladder type which I've used on both hard pack gravel and asphalt...for me, just the rear tires get chained and I don't use front wheel assist as much as I used to...don't need it.
If your tractor has split brakes (some refer to them as steering brakes), front chains are not a necessity. Judicious use of the split brakes keep the tractor on the straight and narrow.

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #2,305  
Here is my newest purchase to battle the New England snow. Lost my truck and plow due to an accident. Decided to give the JD with the rear blower a shot.

Attachments

• image-1375635550.jpg
    image-1375635550.jpg
    513.6 KB · Views: 285
  • image-2661406329.jpg
    image-2661406329.jpg
    549.6 KB · Views: 241
  • image-1550272137.jpg
    image-1550272137.jpg
    498.6 KB · Views: 222
   / Pictures of your snow weapons #2,306  
Would be interested in what that rear Frontier blower runs. Seeing that it is iMatch compatible interests me. If not wanting to divulge the investment cost, that is ok too. I can check with the dealer.

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #2,307  
Here is my newest purchase to battle the New England snow. Lost my truck and plow due to an accident. Decided to give the JD with the rear blower a shot.
I had that same blower for two winters on my 2520. I then upgraded to the front mount. The rear one was indestructible. It will throw rocks the size of your fist a hundred feet. Make sure you don't aim the discharge at anything valuable.

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #2,309  
Edit: Double post.

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #2,310  
Been there:
I have a 2520 running the snowblower. It was used the other day with 4 inches of snow. I was out of town so it turned into ice. The snowblower chewed that right up and threw ice balls across my front field. There are is a definite learning curve when it comes to operating.
As for cost I paid $2600 new. There are also many options as well ( hydraulic chute, rotation) but I have no rear hydraulic connections yet. I also found some used on tractor house but I just chose to go with a new machine.