Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Pictures of your snow weapons

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #251  
No it is a La Nina winter which means colder and wetter for the Pacific Northwest. Just read it on the NOAA website this morning. The last time we had it the area I am in got above average snowfall.

Sounds like it is time for chains on my Yanmar.:D

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #252  
'63 Oshkosh 10' V 11' Wing
'05 5500 GM Boss 10' V
'09 3500 GM Boss 9' 2" V
'86 4150 Kubota 8' Blower, 8' pusher box

That's some sweet equipment. How many gallons per mile on that Oshkosh? That thing looks like the prototype snow beast:D:shocked:

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #253  
I've never checked the mileage on the Oshkosh, don't want to know.:eek::D
I've plowed 10 hours or more with it on less than 1/2 a tank (60 gallon tank) so it really isn't too bad considering how much iron is being pushed around.

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #255  
No it is a La Nina winter which means colder and wetter for the Pacific Northwest. Just read it on the NOAA website this morning. The last time we had it the area I am in got above average snowfall.

When people ask me what kind of winter I think we're going to have I tell them to "ask me next spring!"

Rob

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #256  
I've never checked the mileage on the Oshkosh, don't want to know.:eek::D
I've plowed 10 hours or more with it on less than 1/2 a tank (60 gallon tank) so it really isn't too bad considering how much iron is being pushed around.

How does that work on a double lane road? Aren't you pushing snow into the other lane? All our road plows push to one side.

Rob

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #257  
Good point Rob-D. That way you are never wrong. :)

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #258  
How does that work on a double lane road? Aren't you pushing snow into the other lane? All our road plows push to one side.

Rob

Ran shotgun for several years when our Town had the Oshkosh with V plow and wing. I'd run the wing. Was fun, but after several hours was tiring.
Usually don't use the V plow for the normal run of clearing roads, only if there are roads that are blocked with 5-6' of drifting snow. Don't want to get just part way through a huge drift, as it is tough to impossible to back out.
Only would need the big Oshkosh with V plow a few times in a winter. Sold it as it was a big expense item.

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #259  
Here are some other snow weapons. This was from 2008. The TD6 is all but retired since I got the 3040 ready to go this year.

DSC00853.JPG

DSC00909.JPG

DSC00908.JPG

Last edited:
   / Pictures of your snow weapons #260  

Rob

I use it mostly for private roads, not as a first out piece. When something needs to be pushed back or opened it's my go-to rig. The V allows you to push a lot of snow w/o sliding, highway blades will shove the truck sideways. In the old days every town here ran V's as they generally waited until the storms were about over then went out and opened everything. Back then everyone had the common sense to stay home until the roads were cleared.