Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Pictures of your snow weapons

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #641  
Thought I would add to the snow weapon pictures as we were out cleaning up some drifts and such. Only two pictures, a 2000 F150 with a 7.5' Boss Power-V plow, and our JD 1435 front mount mower with the broom attached. It leaves the cleanest driveway around and can move a surprising amount of snow.

That Ford with IFS front suspension seems to hold a plow pretty well. Imagine how well an even more beefed-up IFS would hold one!! :thumbsup:

The rotary broom is an idea I've been wanting to use for years. I've seen guys move 4" of snow like it wasn't there.

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #642  
The broom was the biggest surprise. We started using it on light dustings and we have just kept moving up on the snow totals. This last one got a little drifty so we pushed with the plow and came back and did a final pass with the broom. Works great to keep the ice off when the temp warms back up. The truck does handle the plow pretty well. It is the Heavy Duty F150(called the 7700 payload package) that included stiffer front springs. It has been really reliable. People can all have their preferences but that truck has been driven pretty hard and has never let us down. 160,000 miles and still going strong.

Ray

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #643  
That's a sharp eye to detail Compact Tractor Fan: My job went to 5" LDH in 99' and most has now failed annual testing. My engine got 1000' of new hose last year, and the Dept. Mechanic was throwing out the old stuff. AS a cheapskate, I couldn't imagine leaving that for Mr. Dumpster. I use the old hose for many uses, including what you see.

Builder: This truck got stuck when new, one year ago in 1" of snow, with the Ford spec. all-terrain tires as supplied. (Continental Conni-trac's) The dealer and I finally negotiated installing real all terrain tires after I threatened my disapproval on the Ford after-purchase survey. In this case, the snow was so deep to lift the truck off the ground under the frame.
When it is empty, traction is marginal.

WALT

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #644  
Builder: This truck got stuck when new, one year ago in 1" of snow, with the Ford spec. all-terrain tires as supplied. (Continental Conni-trac's) The dealer and I finally negotiated installing real all terrain tires after I threatened my disapproval on the Ford after-purchase survey. In this case, the snow was so deep to lift the truck off the ground under the frame.

WALT

I had the same problems with my Fords in snow or mud. If you get the diesel option, the front end is extremely heavy. The weight of the diesel being over 1,100lbs combined with the iron front differential/axle creates an unbalanced front/rear weight ratio.

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #645  
After watching that video I had a couple of questions. Nice work by the way. Is it rocks that I hear pinging off into the woods there when you are doing that longer run? Do you have a shear bolt on there in case you pick up a large rock? And I was curious if you felt like the tractor could be a little tippy bouncing along like that with the bucket up high? Just me being a Curious George.

Maybe I secretly want an excuse for a new (bigger 4x4) tractor, but the first two rotating assemblies have a 5/16 bolt and I already replaced one. You are hearing the odd rock and sticks. The main impeller has 2 x 5/16 or maybe 1/4 inch bolts. You will be unhappy to hear that this blower has stalled the tractor engine on several occassions when ingesting a stick. Unfortuneatly there is no way around it with a 1/4 mile throught the woods. The little 2 cyl seems to be okay with this, though I cringe and then pray during startup. Good eye about the loader, normally it would be down but the road is flat. Bigger danger is sitting side saddle on a tractor with changes...:eek:

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #646  
Here is mine after the most recent storm. Just installed the plow on my 1070. It's a WR Long, 84", urethane cutting edge and Meyer plow markers. Took some rigging but using the bucket tilt lines for l/r angle.

web.jpg

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #647  
This is how I looked today, 2nd day of clean-up after a major Nor-Easter.

Look at the piles!

JB.

Attachments

• DSC03908.JPG
    DSC03908.JPG
    304.7 KB · Views: 450
  • DSC03888.JPG
    DSC03888.JPG
    267.4 KB · Views: 278
   / Pictures of your snow weapons #648  

WALT

Walt, I have a 06 F-350 4x4 SRW and it has the same junk tires on it. Second worst 4x4 vehicle I have ever driven in the snow behind the 90's GMC 3500 Dually I used to plow with using a Boss V Plow. That thing stunk. Anyway, I changed to Toyo tires on the 06 F-350 and its now much better. My 04 F-250 came with BFG's and it was twice the truck the F-350 was in the snow.

I will never buy another Continental or a vehicle with them on it.

Still the best truck on the market.

Chris

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #649  
The broom was the biggest surprise. We started using it on light dustings and we have just kept moving up on the snow totals. This last one got a little drifty so we pushed with the plow and came back and did a final pass with the broom. Works great to keep the ice off when the temp warms back up. The truck does handle the plow pretty well. It is the Heavy Duty F150(called the 7700 payload package) that included stiffer front springs. It has been really reliable. People can all have their preferences but that truck has been driven pretty hard and has never let us down. 160,000 miles and still going strong.

Ray

Take a look at any major airport. Brooms are the primary snow fighting machine used. Works great but they do wear out quick. Ours only last a season here at the airport I work at.

Chris

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #650  
This is how I looked today, 2nd day of clean-up after a major Nor-Easter.

Look at the piles!

JB.
Look at the tractor that made the piles! Nice!
Bet you had fun....and a lot of work.