Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota L5460HSTC

Default Snow fighting decisions. Loader mounted straight or v plow or rear blower? Kubota L

Have a new to me kubota l5460 picture below. Trying to decide on snow weapon(s)

Considering my options for snow removal.

On my B3030 I have a front mount blower which works great, but requires removal of loader to set up. Also, the kubota blower for the L is only 74" which is the same width of the tractor tires. On my TC18 I had an older rear blower with a small fan that would only launch the snow 15 ft on a good day.

Straight blade. Least expensive. Just built one for my dad's new holland tc40da about $1k with a used blade including new cylinders, new hydraulic lines, crossover relief valve and new ssqa plate.

Concerns: my driveway is a large u with a pad in front of the garage and a parking area off to the other side. When plowing, it is more of a pushing effort and less windowing to the side.

V blade. Command a premium vs the straight blades on the used market. Even beat ones are north of $1k. New cost more than a snowblower

From what I read, the scoop mode is far more efficient for pushing snow than the straight blade

Rear blower: local dealer has a landpride 84" for just under $4k. Hydraulic rotate and deflector extra.

Ideally I'd do a loader mounted blade and a rear blower, just trying to decide which first...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Snow fighting decisions.  Loader mounted straight or v plow or rear blower? Kubota L-image-jpg  
    Hazmat

Tractor
    Kubota MX5100

Default Re: Snow fighting decisions. Loader mounted straight or v plow or rear blower? Kubot

A good straight blade with wings will move as much as a vee in scoop. Cheaper too.

Just dont use the "pro-wings". Not enough angle to make them hold much snow. And they get beat up easy. Either go with an OEM wing of with the plow of your choice, or fab your own wings.
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota MX5100HST w/LA844
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Tractor
    Kubota L2800HST w/Frontloader & CC LTX1046 & Craftman T2200 lawn mower.

Default Re: Snow fighting decisions. Loader mounted straight or v plow or rear blower? Kubot

Good to see your still kicking dust old timer.

I agree w/LD1,than keep eye open for sale etc. during off season.

Tractor
    Kubota L5460HSTC

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    Good to see your still kicking dust old timer.

I agree w/LD1,than keep eye open for sale etc. during off season.
    Hi Thomas. Good to hear from you as well. Appreciate the suggestion on the wings from you and LD1. Simplifies things vs the extra plumbing for a v plow.

Off to Craigslist to find a non-beat plow...
    Hazmat

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota 5030HSTC, Husqvarna P525 & PF21 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by LD1 View Post
    A good straight blade with wings will move as much as a vee in scoop. Cheaper too.
    And when you need to use the blade as a plow and discharge to the side? How will you move the wings?

Unless you mean a blade with 2 hydraulic wings that can be operated individually (and in that case it's no longer simpler or cheaper), there is just no comparison in effciency, the V-plow wins hands down as soon as you have some length of road to plow. If you are only doing short driveways i'ts a different situation. All the contractors here has V-blades, only some farmers still use old straight blades. In the north they mostly use wheel loaders and buckets with hydraulic wings. Which equipment to use is calculated very thoroughly for bidding on snow contracts.

Also, a V-plow with a diagonal valve can be used with just one hydraulic function and 2 electric buttons. This will provide separate left/right wing, V-Y, and diagonal l/r functions. Very efficient.

BR,
    /Marcus
    Kubota 5030 w LA853, Trima QA, Belos Hydraulic front mount, Siringe V-plow, K-vagn dump trailer
    Husqvarna Rider Proflex 21 AWD, Combi 122cm deck, V-plow, hydraulics.
    Husqvarna Rider P525 with C155 deck, Kubota diesel engine, hydraulics
    Previosly: Kubota 7100, 8200, 2550

Tractor
    1996 Kubota L4200 GSTC,(sold) 1994 JCB 210S 4x4x4

Quote Originally Posted by SweBota View Post
    And when you need to use the blade as a plow and discharge to the side? How will you move the wings?
    When I make my "wings or wing" I plan on making it adjustable (manually) either straight on one side for pushing back the banks or angled as necessary.
    The wing will be on a "removable hinge" and locked in with a pin for angling, something like a manual angle plow blade, no hydraulics.

Tractor
    Kubota MX5100

Quote Originally Posted by SweBota View Post

Unless you mean a blade with 2 hydraulic wings that can be operated individually (and in that case it's no longer simpler or cheaper), there is just no comparison in effciency, the V-plow wins hands down as soon as you have some length of road to plow. If you are only doing short driveways i'ts a different situation. All the contractors here has V-blades, only some farmers still use old straight blades. In the north they mostly use wheel loaders and buckets with hydraulic wings. Which equipment to use is calculated very thoroughly for bidding on snow contracts.

Also, a V-plow with a diagonal valve can be used with just one hydraulic function and 2 electric buttons. This will provide separate left/right wing, V-Y, and diagonal l/r functions. Very efficient.

BR,
    /Marcus
    No need to remove them to windrow. They actually assist in windrowing. The wings I am talking about are not 90 degrees to the blade like a push box. Rather more like 30 degrees. Ideally, with the plow at full angle, the leading wing will be pointing straight forward, which helps not to loose snow off the wrong side when angling.

Here are what my current wings look like

Snow fighting decisions.  Loader mounted straight or v plow or rear blower? Kubota L-img_20140221_093104_404-jpgSnow fighting decisions.  Loader mounted straight or v plow or rear blower? Kubota L-img_20140222_090226_527-jpgSnow fighting decisions.  Loader mounted straight or v plow or rear blower? Kubota L-img_20140222_090241_488-jpg
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota MX5100HST w/LA844
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Tractor
    Kubota L4240 HSTC,L3000DT

I use a 8ft.converted truck plow on my FEL and a 7ft.rear blade on my L4240 HSTC and they both work well.I plow about 2 mile of drives and woods road.With the SSQA if need the plow/bucket change is about five minutes.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B7610HSD

Hazmat, I have a loader mounted snow plow with a rear blower. I really love the set up. I can plow quickly on the small storms and when the big storms hit the rear blower moves it out of the way. Depending on how long your driveway is, it can get to be a PITA backing up while blowing. My driveway is just about a half mile long with a 10% grade and several turns thrown in for good measure.

Tractor
    Deere, several

Around here a blade and pushing is just a make work project that increases the amount of snow drifting in. A two stage snowblower is the only solution.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast