Snow Attachments chain broke on Blizzard B64 snow blower ...

/ chain broke on Blizzard B64 snow blower ... #1  

redrider2227

Tractor
2009 MF GC2610TLB
Hey Guys,
Own a Blizzard B64 snowblower. Was putting it on for the winter & while I was greasing everything up I noticed one of the chain links was cracked & seperated. Need to change it out. Radtech(Ber-Vac) site doesn't offer any parts it seems. Any suggestions where to order a replacement chain? Are there parts available to the public for the Blizzards? It's a #60 - 72 tooth w/ quick connect. Anyone change one out on their blower? Thanks a ton ... appreciate your time.

/ chain broke on Blizzard B64 snow blower ... #2  
Wouldn't one of those replacement links for snow chains work or I think they call them spiral links at the hardware store? Just trying to picture in my mind what your set up looks like. I have zero experience with snow blowers.. Now if it were a snow shovel I could help you. :)

/ chain broke on Blizzard B64 snow blower ... #3  
If you have one cracked link, you have many cracked or stressed links.

You need a new chain.

You need to buy a box of sixty chain you have to find out if it is actually 60H
(stronger and thicker 60 chain) to be sure you buy the right size chain.

Be sure the side link is not stamped 60H

Anyplace that sells roller chain or Graingers or Kaman can sell you what chain you need for it.

Roller chain is universal in size so no worries about that.

One box of chain is 10 feet in length.

These chains have cotter keys and usually have cotter pin repair links which are stronger.

/ chain broke on Blizzard B64 snow blower ... #4  
I have replaced my chain n my buhler. If yu have arunnings or farm * fleet or TSC store they will carry everythign you need roller chain has been around a long time. Google you unit and find the manual this will give you the type of chain you need. Actauly you reminded me I need ot take alink out of my chain it is stetched out.

/ chain broke on Blizzard B64 snow blower ... #5  
NAPA use to carry it .i don't know if they still do

/ chain broke on Blizzard B64 snow blower ...
Thanks everyone for all the great input. I want to replace the whole chain not just the broken link. Looks like I'll be headed out to TSC tonight. Any tips/tricks on changing out the chain? Looks pretty straight forward but I'd thought I'd ask anyhow. Some of you guys are way more handy than I think I really am.:D

/ chain broke on Blizzard B64 snow blower ... #7  
Look for a master link, it will have a clip over the 2 pins in the link. Pull it off, slide it out the opposite side.

chain5.gif

/ chain broke on Blizzard B64 snow blower ... #8  
Be sure to back the tensioner off before you install the new chain and tension
If it has a screw adjustment for chain tension

accordingly; the chain must have approximately 1/16 of an inch of slack
ON THE BOTTOM STRAND ONLY.
Please seriously follw this when adjusting the new chain- if you have a good tool dealer or NAPA nearby ask to have a roller chain tension gauge ordered for you to allow easy tension adjustment of the chain as it wil stretch when hot and contract when cold especially at start up-

A new or older roller chain operated in one direction requires that a small amount of slack is present-which is why you only want 1/16" of slack in the chain at any time on the bottom strand.

I want you to succeed and not fail. The roller chain tension gauge, chain breaking tool, and roller chain tensioner will help you every time, and save you time and work and avoid bloody knuckles.

Read this first please!!

Please invest in a roller chain breaker and tensioner to make the assembly easier and a lot less bloody(been there done that) seriously it will only take you a few minutes with a chain breaker and tensioner for this size chain.

After you break the chain at the master link if you have not already done so use the old master link to pull the new chain through- you can simply clip one side of the old master to the new roller link and very slowly pull it through using some nylon twine-Nylon twine will not break when doing this job.

About the chain length!!

Ok what you must do is count the chain pitches to have the proper chain length for your application.

The CHAIN PITCH is the space between each roller of the "old" and "new chain"

DO NOT measure the new chain using the old chain laid beside it as it will come back to bite you- YOU MUST COUNT THE CHAIN PITCHES!!!!!!

Please be sure to obtain the proper chain by taking a roller link with you the roller link will have the chain size and whether it is an H type chain-the H stamped directly following the numerical designation.

Ok to review

1. you may need 2 boxes of chain to make up the cross auger drive chain-

About the new chain if you can purchase the size chain you need with cotter keyed links your life will be much easier as it is a chain that can be spliced at any point with no worries.

2. purchase a half dozen new repair links-half links and master links as spares

a. install the new chain exactly as the old chain was laced in the sprockets as the location of the cotter pins will be most important when repairing a break as the there may or may not be adequate room on either side of the chain
to install the repair links.

3. enquire at NAPA to purchase-

a. a roller chain tenson guage for this size chain.
If you get any grief about this tool call mac tools or snap on for one-
they are not that expensive.

b. a roller chain chain breaker
c. a roller chain tensioner for assembling the new chain in the blower-
much easier than trying to bring the chain ends together with needle
nose pliers and safer too.

If you are able to install the chain on the exterior of the blower by removing the chain guard is possible it will make the repair much easier for you.

Use blue lock tite on the bolts securing the chain guard(s) to be sure they do not vibrate off on you.

The drive and driven sprocket should be fine as they are harder than the chain rollers which are the sacrificial part of the roller chain.

I want you to succeed and not fail and have the ability to install and adjust this chain with no issues or broken skin and a lot of &^%$#$%^&*(*&^%$^&*() words.

/ chain broke on Blizzard B64 snow blower ... #9  
I'm going to have to remember this thread. I have a Blizzard 64, too.

/ chain broke on Blizzard B64 snow blower ... #10  
Hey Guys,
Own a Blizzard B64 snowblower. Was putting it on for the winter & while I was greasing everything up I noticed one of the chain links was cracked & seperated. Need to change it out. Radtech(Ber-Vac) site doesn't offer any parts it seems. Any suggestions where to order a replacement chain? Are there parts available to the public for the Blizzards? It's a #60 - 72 tooth w/ quick connect. Anyone change one out on their blower? Thanks a ton ... appreciate your time.

Contact Kevin Emerich at Emerich Sales & Service - Kubota,Cub Cadet Yanmar,Toro,New & Used Tractors,Exmark,Ferris,Ariens
They sell AND service RAD Blizzard Snow Blowers...;)