Snow Attachments Snow Push for Compact Tractor Use - Any Good?

/ Snow Push for Compact Tractor Use - Any Good? #11  
GR--
I had this welded up a while ago. Though it is just a blade not a pusher, it is 54" wide. I have ~250$ in it, both the blade and the QA brackets came from ebay. The plow is an ATV type and is the same is what they sell at cyclecountry.com. I have also mounted a piece of truck tire to use as the cutting edge.
They also sell on the same site sides to make the plow a box. The only problem with it is...I haven't been able to use it.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20101211_222423.png
    ForumRunner_20101211_222423.png
    514.4 KB · Views: 1,099
   / Snow Push for Compact Tractor Use - Any Good? #12  
I have a 400'+ cement driveway 14' wide and 2 different pads attached to the driveway. Put the cement in over the past 2 years and now it is done. Before that had gravel driveway. I use a modifed Meyers snow blade. 84" and does a nice job. Bought the blade on an auction for $75 and made a mount. I had considered a pusher snow box but when they begin to fill, you have to dump the snow somewhere into a pile. How far you can go depends on the size of the box and depth of the snow. The angled snow blade allows me to make a pass down the middle, then one on each side and push the snow back off the edge of the road. The angle blade is much faster, and leaves the snow not in big piles to melt easier. If you driveway is gravel or rock, the skids on the blade can be lowered and let you leave most of the material on the road and not get pushed off like a pusher will do.

I use a snow blower for bigger snows. The angled snow blade also lets me push the snow to the edge of the road and then snow blow it easily if I really want to get the snow far away.

/ Snow Push for Compact Tractor Use - Any Good? #13  
GR--
I had this welded up a while ago. Though it is just a blade not a pusher, it is 54" wide. I have ~250$ in it, both the blade and the QA brackets came from ebay. The plow is an ATV type and is the same is what they sell at cyclecountry.com. I have also mounted a piece of truck tire to use as the cutting edge.
They also sell on the same site sides to make the plow a box. The only problem with it is...I haven't been able to use it.

I got a chance to use it last night. I think it works real well. Though I can see where others do not like this setup as down pressure on the blade can cause your front tires to be off the ground :eek: But I don't have a big drop off or curves or a big hill either.

/ Snow Push for Compact Tractor Use - Any Good? #14  
Granite Rooster,
I have a 100ft gravel drive. In the past I've used my 7 ft 3 pt grader blade on my 8N turned around and it works alright. this fall I got bored and took some 3/4 in plywood and made some sides to make it into a pusher box and it seems to work well so far. We haven't got any serious snow so far so it is yet to be truly tested. If i had a longer drive i would not put sides on it.

On the other hand, I use a skid steer at work to plow. Its 8400 lbs and over 80 horses and at times it can struggle with the 10 footer that is on it if the snow gets heavy enough. Its not the volume of snow its those wet heavy 4-6 inch plus snowfalls that get you with a pusher. On a tractor it is not going to be easy or at times even possible with a heavy snow to turn to push the loaded pusher box off the edge of the drive. My opinion is get a angle blade and don't look back. while a pusher can be nice to clean lots its not really the best tool for doing a long stretch like a 400 ft drive. Hope this helps.

/ Snow Push for Compact Tractor Use - Any Good? #15  
I am in the same situation as the OP. My initial thoughts were to also get a snow pusher so it would not stress the FEL. I've read horror stores of people stating an angled blade can break your FEL arms (crack, bend, etc) since they are not meant to take the stress at those angles. Is this not true? Are angled blades safe? I know anything can be dangerous, I'm just generalizing.

/ Snow Push for Compact Tractor Use - Any Good? #16  
I am going to have to keep an eye out for an old excavator type tire. Sounds like an interesting way to go. Could probably make it work with my forks. Be heck to cut in two though. Ranchers are starting to use them for pasture water tanks (fairly bullet and cattle proof). No rust either.

When I get the courage or time I intend to make one with a frame on top I can drive into with my forks and chain it to the back. I am looking for a loader tire about 66" diameter, I plan to cut it on one side where the sidewall meets the tread and then in half to make a half moon shaped scraper blade. We used them on skid steers at a farm I worked on and they are great for scraping down the manure in the barns. I plan to try cutting it with my gas powered 14" abrasive cut off saw. When the disk loads up hit a piece of steel with it and it cleans the disc right up.

Thanks for the complements on the farm, we try hard.

/ Snow Push for Compact Tractor Use - Any Good? #17  
Ok tell me that is a bad idea want to take a 24-36" plastic corragated pipe cut in half , I have a 4' bucket and want to make it 6' long it will only be 1' over hang and held on with straps. Has any one tried this ?

/ Snow Push for Compact Tractor Use - Any Good? #18  
GraniteRooster, Are you looking for a front snow pusher, that attaches to the FEL arms? If that's what you think you want. Take a look on Youtube. There are a couple of video's of a homemade snow pusher built for a John Deere. I think that it's just over 72" wide. He moves allot of snow quickly. Do a search for " 1 fireball ferkey ". He has about 8 video's on there.

/ Snow Push for Compact Tractor Use - Any Good? #19  
snow029.jpg

For Sale in MA if interested

/ Snow Push for Compact Tractor Use - Any Good? #20  
I've got this one but does require a remote valve to run the angle. It's an 84" blade with folding wings to turn it into a pusher. With the folding wings I can angle the blade and quickly clear our driveway for our business and then lock in the wings to clear the parking lot. As others stated, for a drive you'll want a straight blade that you can angle. For a parking lot, the pusher moves a lot more snow than a standard blade. This gives me both options with one blade.