Snow Attachments what type of steel for snow plow wear bar / blade?

/ what type of steel for snow plow wear bar / blade? #1  

nvr-enuf

Silver Member
Hello everyone - I am in need of replacing my snow blower scraper blade. Does anyone know the specific steel call out / description for the wear bar? High carbon steel is not a description but a general term that the steel supplier can not go off of.
My desire was to buy at a local steel supplier versus buying at a local bucket mfg.

Thanks in advance.
scott

/ what type of steel for snow plow wear bar / blade? #2  
I'd be very suprised if a blower blade were anything but regular mild steel.

On a loader they'd use T1, which is hardened hi carbon and hard to drill.

I'd simply buy some regular mild steel flat stock, maybe go a guage thicker if you wish longer life.

I make these remarks simply by observing the wear patterns of the different edge stocks as well as noting that a blower blade primarily only encounters snow vs earth gravel and sand as do loaders.

Ther also would be a major price differance that would seriously increase the cost of a blower.

/ what type of steel for snow plow wear bar / blade? #3  
I'd be very suprised if a blower blade were anything but regular mild steel.
Ditto, not only that but most steel shops won't sell you anything other than a full length. Why not just grab a few hardface rods and run a bead along the edge, probably cheaper.....Mike

/ what type of steel for snow plow wear bar / blade? #4  
Use 1044 Bar. It has a high enough carbon content to wear well, but can still be machined.

/ what type of steel for snow plow wear bar / blade? #5  
Hello everyone - I am in need of replacing my snow blower scraper blade. Does anyone know the specific steel call out / description for the wear bar? High carbon steel is not a description but a general term that the steel supplier can not go off of.
My desire was to buy at a local steel supplier versus buying at a local bucket mfg.

Thanks in advance.
scott

my oppinion you dont need any high carbon steel wount make a differance use crs c1018 grade if u cant find it hrs will also work . i use a piece of uhmw plastic 1in x 6in x6ft it lighter, also i use the plow feet so plastic dosent wear out as quick.