Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Snow Plow rubber edge vs steel

/ Snow Plow rubber edge vs steel #1  

gdh

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030 HSDC, Kubota ZD 18
I sprang for a rubber edge for my front mount snow plow so that I didn't damage my driveway. Well,,,it is not even Christmas yet and I somehow managed to tear the rubber edge. Should I replace it with another, or just put on the steel edge that came standard with the plow. I am wondering how bad the steel edge on your snow plows damage your concrete driveways. Groves? Chips?
Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

/ Snow Plow rubber edge vs steel #2  
I sprang for a rubber edge for my front mount snow plow so that I didn't damage my driveway. Well,,,it is not even Christmas yet and I somehow managed to tear the rubber edge. Should I replace it with another, or just put on the steel edge that came standard with the plow. I am wondering how bad the steel edge on your snow plows damage your concrete driveways. Groves? Chips?

I have used my rear blade (steel cutting edge) on pavement and it didn't do mush of any damage to the concrete. It may leave small scratches on the finer pavement but on the regular concrete pad it should do fine. :)

/ Snow Plow rubber edge vs steel #3  
If you use it in the 'float' position, you may be ok.

/ Snow Plow rubber edge vs steel #4  
Tearing of the rubber edge is unusual. How did you install it? Did you sandwich the rubber edge between your moldboard and the steel cutting edge?

The rubber edges are not stiff enough to take the forces of plowing without the support provided by the steel edge. Most rubber edges are of a size where you put the steel edge on upside down when sandwiching it. You'll need longer bolts to do this.

Most users of a rubber edge are looking to squegee off wet snow on a very smooth surface, usually asphalt. Using steel on concrete may give a few scratches, but no gouges.

/ Snow Plow rubber edge vs steel #5  
The rubber cutting edge makes a cleaner plow that my neighbors steel edge and it won't hurt the asphalt. But it's lousy on ice and tire track packed snow. It's better with slush as it squeegees the surface. On slush the steel edge leaves a film that freezes. The best cutting edge is the urethane edge at $300 for ten feet. At Central Parts Warehouse | The #1 source for all your Snow & Ice needs, Period! We carry all major brand Snowplows, Snowplow Parts, Snow plow Accessories, Snow pushers and Salt Spreaders they have a 1"x6"x60" poly for $134. Or try here Urethane Soultions LLC

/ Snow Plow rubber edge vs steel #6  
If you have friends in the quarry business have them get you a piece of used conveyor belt from the gravel pit. This stuff is tough and in my case the price was right. Be warned cutting it to size can take a little time.

/ Snow Plow rubber edge vs steel #7  
If your paved driveway is more than a year old, it'll be tough enough to take a steel edge without damage.

Ralph

/ Snow Plow rubber edge vs steel #8  
If you have friends in the quarry business have them get you a piece of used conveyor belt from the gravel pit. This stuff is tough and in my case the price was right. Be warned cutting it to size can take a little time.
:thumbsup:Thanks oldnslo.....I've got about ten feet of that belt in the basement....forgot that it was there. It made nice mud flaps for my truck. Now, maybe I'll make a strip for the rear blade....but it hasn't snowed yet this year.

/ Snow Plow rubber edge vs steel #9  
Shucks guys,
I always have used steel blade and rarely do I see any serious marks on my pavement.
My occasional spinning chains, however is a different story, even those disappear with time.
Even then, usually after a few weeks of spring weather when dirt & grime get washed in, all those marks just don't show.
I think you all are getting a bit to fussy.
But then I don't wax my tractor either. (and it sleeps outside) and it is not all rusted up, however I do wash it down from time to time and do touch up the paint to prevent rust.

/ Snow Plow rubber edge vs steel #10  
I got my drive paved in April and have plowed 4 times now this year with my snow plow with no damage. I had plowed customers drives for 20 years now with trucks and tractors with no damage either.

Chris