Snow Equipment Owning/Operating First snow with New Tractor

/ First snow with New Tractor #1  

ChoPChoP

Tractor
John Deere 950
Hey everybody, my first post other than the review of my John Deere 950. Bought her in October to cut the 5 acres behind my house and I have to admit, like so many others on TBN, I got it bad. When the weather forecast said up to 24" of snow today and tomorrow I didn't think about the lost day of work Monday. First thing I thought about was getting the 7' back blade on the 950 and getting to the gas station to fill the diesel jugs.
After reading the snow plowing threads on TBN about gravel driveways, I went out and bought a pc 1 1/2" ABS pipe, kerfed it on my table saw and slid it on the cutting edge of the blade. Just plowed the first 4" in reverse with the Blade backwards and am I a happy puppy. Took 15 minutes instead of an hour with the snowblower on the JD GT316 and I didn't look like a snowman when I was done.
I did scrape some gravel off no more than I sprayed with the blower.

Many thanks to all the contributors here, still lots to learn but you guys make the learning curve a lot easier. I know I'm operating a lot safer after reading the TBN forums and nothing is more important than that.

Bring it on New England, Chops got a big blade and a bad boy attitude!

/ First snow with New Tractor #2  
Hey everybody, my first post other than the review of my John Deere 950. Bought her in October to cut the 5 acres behind my house and I have to admit, like so many others on TBN, I got it bad. When the weather forecast said up to 24" of snow today and tomorrow I didn't think about the lost day of work Monday. First thing I thought about was getting the 7' back blade on the 950 and getting to the gas station to fill the diesel jugs.
After reading the snow plowing threads on TBN about gravel driveways, I went out and bought a pc 1 1/2" ABS pipe, kerfed it on my table saw and slid it on the cutting edge of the blade. Just plowed the first 4" in reverse with the Blade backwards and am I a happy puppy. Took 15 minutes instead of an hour with the snowblower on the JD GT316 and I didn't look like a snowman when I was done.
I did scrape some gravel off no more than I sprayed with the blower.

Many thanks to all the contributors here, still lots to learn but you guys make the learning curve a lot easier. I know I'm operating a lot safer after reading the TBN forums and nothing is more important than that.

Bring it on New England, Chops got a big blade and a bad boy attitude!

Sounds like you are enjoying the seat time.

Tip for ya....Spin the blade around so that the back of it is faceing forward and drive forward to clean up the snow.

/ First snow with New Tractor #3  
Had a 950 when I still had my farm before the divorce nice little tractor used it for a lot of farm work sure do miss it.

/ First snow with New Tractor #4  
He does have it bad... :laughing:

/ First snow with New Tractor #7  
Yeah, we dealt with 22" of the white last week. Yuck! You may be glad to have the seat time at first, but after three 6+ hour plowing sessions with the back blade, I'm thinking front mount blower!

/ First snow with New Tractor
Sounds like you are enjoying the seat time.

Tip for ya....Spin the blade around so that the back of it is faceing forward and drive forward to clean up the snow.

JD the snow melted before I got a chance to spin the blade but it looks like I will get another chance over the next couple of days. Hope we don't get too much, leaving for a Cruise Friday. Mrs. Chop says I have to leave the tractor at home. :( Guess I'll take my Xmas present with me instead.

Attachments

• 2010-12-26_23-33-32_74.jpg
    2010-12-26_23-33-32_74.jpg
    356.7 KB · Views: 135
   / First snow with New Tractor
No options for attachments on the mini version but the BH is pretty nice. :thumbsup:
I was amazed they even made a 950 in a model. The box says 1980. I have no idea why.