Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Snow Success

/ Snow Success #1  

BXRICK

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX1500
Should I consider myself lucky that this year, in our first blowable snow on the gravel driveway, I only had to test my speed-shear-pin changing skills three times?
I'm pretty sure that's a record low.

/ Snow Success #3  
I hate to be a pain, but I might break one every couple of yrs. And yes, i have a gravel driveway. 650ft driveway. Avg total snowfall, 8 to 10 ft

/ Snow Success #4  
Should I consider myself lucky that this year, in our first blowable snow on the gravel driveway, I only had to test my speed-shear-pin changing skills three times?
I'm pretty sure that's a record low.

Would you mind sharing your tales with us.??

What are you running onto.??

/ Snow Success #6  
one tends to beleive you trying to scrape a bit too much. You need to shorten the top link and leave a bit of snow. I have 900 feet of gravel. cleaned it 5 times so far saem shear bolts. I even avoided the nice rug left int he driveway that made for anice mess in the auger.

/ Snow Success #7  
I've had times where I've been two years with no broken shear bolts........ and had days where I've done three in a day. :confused2:

/ Snow Success #8  
LOL
And I've done 1 hr of blowing C/W 4-5 pin changes!
Happens, ice chunks, bit of gravel, kid's toy and that thing-a-majij you thought you put away!
Welcome to the club. Passing grade!

/ Snow Success
It's a bit of everything, and of course is worse the first snow, since you haven't found everything. Sticks that you thought were off the drive but apparently weren't. An occasional larger stone that comes up. With all the wind the other day, I think one of the breaks was from a stick in the snow itself that fell off a tree mid-storm.
Sometimes one picks up a chunk of pavement that the road plow pulled up and threw into the end of the driveway.
After the first snow, it's routine not to break any pins.

/ Snow Success #10  
I've had my 63" Ford series 715A snow blower for just over a year now, got it for $450 I swear the former owner never used it. Of course I painted it green and never broken a sheer pin on my 1/4 mile drive way. While doing favors for my 2 neighbors there are days I would go through 3-4 shear pins in one hour, I wasn't not smart enough to carry pins and tools with me cause I never needed to. Digging rocks out of the blower isn't fun but the best was the re-bar I found, man that was fun unwrapping that.