Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1219202122232425 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Branson 3510H

Default Re: Cutting / Groving / Siping R-4 for snow

I just did both fronts and one rear of the R4s on my Branson 3510. Left the other rear for comparison, just for fun. Guess we will seen, now we need some snow!

Steve

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Quote Originally Posted by alleycatdad View Post
    I just did both fronts and one rear of the R4s on my Branson 3510. Left the other rear for comparison, just for fun. Guess we will seen, now we need some snow!

Steve
    PLEASE report back. Theoretically the one left undid should be the rear that spins all the time, with the cut one planted firmly.. That is a great idea to test whether this theory has merit or not. I "felt" that my kubota was better with the R4's cut, but how do you actually prove that, as the last time they were uncut was the year before. But now you have a way to really prove it.

James K0UA
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5740, Gravely 8199G

Quote Originally Posted by k0ua View Post
    PLEASE report back. Theoretically the one left undid should be the rear that spins all the time, with the cut one planted firmly.. That is a great idea to test whether this theory has merit or not. I "felt" that my kubota was better with the R4's cut, but how do you actually prove that, as the last time they were uncut was the year before. But now you have a way to really prove it.

James K0UA
    What would be really cool is to load it to the point of max adhesion/beginning to slip, say pushing snow and then take pics of the tire tracks in fresh snow.
    Those tracks might tell an interesting story if the snow is deep and some is left after your pass.
    2012 Kubota L5740HSTC3 with FEL and Long grapple, 1986 Case IH 255, Land Pride PD10 PHD, LP RCR60 & RCF2084 mowers, LP 4' box blade and rear rake, Fred Cain subsoiler, County Line potato plow, County Line 1 bottom plow, 1986 Gravely 8199G with tow behind DR rototiller, 50" deck+40" Gravely wing mowers, Swisher 44 rough cut mower,, Echo 450-18 & 600-24, Echo PPT280, 2014 JD X750 diesel garden tractor, 1968 Cub Cadet 125 under renovation, Husky-Speeco 35 ton splitter, DR tow behind string trimmer

Tractor
    John Deere 3720

Unfortunately one side or the other is going to have more torque available, depending on the differential design. Have you ever noticed how one back wheel of the pickup is always the one that spins first? This is for open differential vehicles only. To do a real test, you'd have to run the cut tire on one side, then the other, and evaluate both setups. Nothing is ever as easy as you'd like it.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5740, Gravely 8199G

Quote Originally Posted by jimgerken View Post
    Unfortunately one side or the other is going to have more torque available, depending on the differential design. Have you ever noticed how one back wheel of the pickup is always the one that spins first? This is for open differential vehicles only. To do a real test, you'd have to run the cut tire on one side, then the other, and evaluate both setups. Nothing is ever as easy as you'd like it.
    would stepping on the diff lock serve a purpose here for comparison?
    2012 Kubota L5740HSTC3 with FEL and Long grapple, 1986 Case IH 255, Land Pride PD10 PHD, LP RCR60 & RCF2084 mowers, LP 4' box blade and rear rake, Fred Cain subsoiler, County Line potato plow, County Line 1 bottom plow, 1986 Gravely 8199G with tow behind DR rototiller, 50" deck+40" Gravely wing mowers, Swisher 44 rough cut mower,, Echo 450-18 & 600-24, Echo PPT280, 2014 JD X750 diesel garden tractor, 1968 Cub Cadet 125 under renovation, Husky-Speeco 35 ton splitter, DR tow behind string trimmer

Tractor
    2012 Kioti DK45 HST Cab

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Bert View Post
    That's funny. Talk about brand loyalty, wow kubota fans are brutal. After that thread I felt like I went a couple of rounds with Tyson.
    For sure, you really got your ear chewed off in that one

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M59

Quote Originally Posted by daugen View Post
    would stepping on the diff lock serve a purpose here for comparison?
    Locking the diff. by default provides a benefit so I think it would be an unfair test trying to compare 1 tire to another especially since weight is rarely 50/50 distributed too.

Tractor
    Branson 3510H

Quote Originally Posted by jimgerken View Post
    Yeah, well, it's a good thing nobody promised you a "real" test then, eh?

Fact is I grooved the side that seems to me to most often lose traction in the snow (itself a lousy test since it's a new tractor and it seems to have quit snowing here...), and we will see what we will see.

Anyway it was a fun project and the kids loved picking out the "worms".

Steve

Tractor
    Kioti DK40se with cab

I grooved my R4s a year ago. Pics on page 19 of this thread. There is a noticable improvement in traction in snow/ice and mud. I have not seen any chunking or tear out of tread. I have put 100 hours on my tractor since grooving the tires and have no regrets. Wiil not give you the traction of chains but is well worth the cost of the tool.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    CaseIH 685 & JD 3320

Hello;

What is a siped Tire?

Thanks, nicholas

Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1219202122232425 ... LastLast